Girling Mk11B servo rebuild

PostPost by: jono » Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 am

Does anyone have direct experince of performing this task and if so could you point me to any resources on the subject?

In particular where can I obtain a rebuild kit and is it still possible to obtain the diaphragm?

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 am

Here is a kit.....you get a servo with it :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Girling-Powerstop ... 2a10a02b63
No connection to me.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alex » Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Jon,

Try J and L Spares, they do sensibly priced service kits:

http://www.jlspares.com/sealkits1.htm

Unfortunately, the Mk2b is more pricey due the the cost of the rubber diagphram! If you can get the servo apart, they are quite straight forward to re-build.

Alex
Alex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon May 16, 2011 10:16 am

I've stopped re-building these myself after a failure in service, due to a hair line crack in the bore that I didn't see. Classicar Automotive do an overhaul service for ?200, which includes re-plating the tank and pressure testing after overhaul, two things that are a bit tricky to do at home!

They reckon that one in four is scrap due to wear / age of the components, but they do combine the good bits from two scrap ones to make a good one.

Given the price of the overhaul kit, and extra ?100 is worth it to me to get the cosmetics right and the extra peace of mind.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:21 am

Jon,

Mark just beat me to recommending Classicar Automotive. Refurbishing it yourself will cost ?100+ and still look crap compared to the pristine job you get from Classicar Automotive.
I think I know what I'm doing, but would not consider doing a servo. Safety first.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Mon May 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Instructions can be found via this page http://volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Vol ... age_en.php

Scroll down to the link and be warned, 15mb file

I've done the job, it's pretty straightforward if fiddly.

Results were okay (luckily no hairline crack in the body!), and the booster performed fine for several years. Then it started leaking ever so slowly past the seals into the vacuum chamber. On dismantling I saw that the bores were a bit iffy and really needed re-sleeving. So I'm going to get that done this time around, in ever lasting stainless steel.

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon May 16, 2011 1:00 pm

My Servo and a maintenance kit for it are on sale in the sales topic, with some other spares.

elan-for-sale-f2/diff-propshaft-timing-case-original-exhaust-header-t22669.html

I've scanned the leaflet in the kit and links to read the instructions are there just below the photos of the servo.

I'm not sure if it is a MK11B though I think it is an earlier one.

I've also put it on eBay. See the link at the bottom of the Sales topic.

<later>
After checking the documentation links above I see that mine is a MK2A.
This does not have a diaphragm, it has a large piston instead. The kit does not appear to include a new leather seal for the piston.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: