Front Disc Diameter Conflict

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 pm

The Series 1 Elan workshop manual states (as do the later manuals) that the diameter of the front disc is 9.5 inches or about 241mm - yet all the advertised Elan discs seem to have a diameter of 232mm.

Can I presume that it is now impossible to buy a 9.5" disc for the Elan??
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue May 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Have you tried the usual suspects, e.g. Miles Wilkins, Paul Matty, Kelvedon, Sue Miller?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Wed May 11, 2011 3:59 am

Steve

I have 26/0538

I had the same problem 15 years ago - I changed out my front brake assemblys to the later S/2 10 inch ones (disks and calipers) from my S2 parts car - i also used upgraded pads (green stuff) and new spiralled machined disks.

As I recall at the time I could not find the origional 9 1/2" S1 disk replacements so I subed the S2's.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 am

Powerbrake.co.za in South Africa will make you any disk you want to order. I have bought the later front disks and rear dsks from them but I am sure they can make a early version if asked.

Their "diehard" competition disks (http://www.powerbrake.co.za/prod_discs/ ... iehard.htm ) are also the best for historic racing I have found where I am limited to the original disks size and original calipers after trying most other original size disks suppliers available ( Brembo. EBC, cheap indian etc).

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:41 pm

Just reviving this as the nearest posting I could find regarding Front Brake Disc sizes & replacements.
There seems to be some discrepancy about the diameter of the front brake disc/rotor on an S2 Elan. As mentioned above, the Workshop Manual lists 9.5” / 24.1 cm.

By crude tape measure, my existing front discs are a bit over 9 1/8”, but perhaps this is what is referred to as 9”. I would expect these to be original to this car. Did earlier cars have a 9.5” disc?

Is there a “correct” size, or were there 2 different sizes used, and what is the “best” or most favored original style replacement?

Also understood is that just increasing the diam of the disc will not change the contact patch area of the pad itself, and a larger disc may not fit the existing caliper mounting. As mentioned elsewhere, a larger disc would necessarily be heavier [all other factors held equal].

The actual O.D. of the contact area of the pads on my example is at about 8.5”.

I see that R Dent lists only a 9”, although in 2 configurations. He lists a “drilled and slotted” version for that “boy racer” / cafe type look, I suppose.
Attachments
P1290382.JPG and
Disc O.D., not a "precise" measurement....
P1290385.JPG and
Even less precise, @ pad contact line.
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:52 pm

Regarding disc size It might help to mention what caliper is actually fitted.
Early Elans had the Type 12 fitted but these were quickly taken out of service because they were considered too weak. So when a Type 12 caliper came in to the B90 exchange / service program it was directly replaced with the Type 14.
If I was lucky enough to have a Series 1 and it had the Type 12 caliper fitted I would throw them in the bin!

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:47 pm

Thanks Steve, good point.
Here are 2 pics of the Calipers off this car.
Attachments
P1070110.JPG and
The cleaning begins...
P1070365.JPG and
After Coating.
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 pm

Hi,
So they are the early Type 14 with the feed port in the back of the pot and 3 bolts

The Type 12's were 2 bolt designs hence why Girling took them out of service.

Later they strengthened the Type 14 with a 4 bolt design

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: