Steering Unit Blocks

PostPost by: Brian Walton » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:06 am

On putting back my steering unit I appear to have solid U blocks. These I believe should be rubber. Is this correct?

Brian
Brian Walton
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 am

Brian,

Yes you are correct, they are rubber. The racing boys will be able to tell you if solid U blocks are racing parts. 8)

Karl

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:31 am

Solid blocks are a common conversion by racers and those emulating racers. In practice I have never been convinced they make any real difference given the rigidity of the standard compressed rubber mount when its in good condition.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:02 am

A question leading on from the last regarding wishbone bushes. I stripped down the front suspension yesterday and noted that there is very little rubber in the Metalastik(?) bushes (the bushes are new). Therefore are there any benefits to be had by fitting alternative types when using the car for normal road use? :roll:

Regards,

Karl

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:50 am

Karl

For normal road use little benefit in more rigid plastic bushes from a handling viewpoint except perhaps for the inboard rear wishbones.

On my Elan, plastic bushes on the front and rear improve stability but only under high speed braking in extreme race conditions eg 200 kmh to 60 kmh on a bumpy track or on high speed sweepers under full acceleration at the limit of adhesion. You dont have these sorts of conditions in a road car.

Inboard plastics bushes on the rear could help on a road car as these have a large amount of rubber and I can feel my plus 2 more its rear on the road between power on and off as the rear A frames move on the bushes. This was not really noticable on the Elan and may be due to the longer A frames on the plus 2

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: