Did federal elans have 2 brake servos?

PostPost by: aratchet » Fri May 13, 2011 1:33 am

No Federal S4 Elans had servos. There would not be room for them in the stock S2-S3 position on the inside of the LH and if used RH fenderwell. Especially with the original airbox and trunking on the RH side. There might even be a close or interference with the single centrally mounted "fail safe" vacuum pod and linkage. I am restoring an S4 in the shop now that had a dual master cylinder with a singe servo that was plumbed into the front circuit. I did not drive the car, but the customer reported that brakes seemed to work OK. I am not putting it back in. You could fit two of the Lockheed replacement servos if you removed/replaced or relocated the factory air filter cannister and with some creative brackets. But be aware that the dual master is stepped so there is a built in front to rear bias. There are servos with different boost ratios so lots to play with. A .70" master will give you the easiest pedal. Some early S4s and S3 Super Safetys had a .75". These were also fitted to Federal Cortinas.
aratchet
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: