Steering wheel refurb?

PostPost by: thor » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:23 pm

Have got a nice original wheel in my +2S, but it needs some work. The seam has gone a bit fluffy (i.e. small bits of thread sticking out), and the leather is more brown than black in places.

ANY good tips on What to refurb it with?

Or, can a good upholsterer re-cover it as tightly as it is now?

Also, something else: How easy is it for a run-of the mill windscreen repair shop to change the crap plastic/foil sorround on my +2S?, as to me it looks daunting....

Cheers,

Thor
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:45 pm

Thor

Paul Matty sorted mine out - though they sent it away to a third party. They did a really nice job. I refurbed and repainted the spokes before I gave it to them. Whats important is the condition of the rubberised foam underneath - if its bad then its a problem. Sometimes it will stick to the leather as it is taken off and fall to bits I was told. mine was fine though. Having said that I only kept it on the car for one summer before going back to a Mota Lita - smaller diameter but thicker rimmed wheel which I preferred. The original is quite thin rimmed and flexes, as well as being quite large I feel.

Dave
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:53 pm

PS

I have heard that Mota Lita do a refurb service - they are at Thruxton airfield in wiltshire
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:44 pm

There was a guy at Stoneleigh, Len something who recovers wheels, and what a nice job too. He had 5 or 6 wheels from various models on there for sale, I will try & get his name & number for you. Jon
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thor » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:07 pm

yes, fab. please do Jon. I'd be happy to send it off as it's packed away for the winter now anyway....
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:04 am

Try Nick Fulcher, he is ex Lotus and lives in Norfolk. His website is:

http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/index.html
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nick Godfrey » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:39 am

Where are you based ?

I know a trimmer that I have worked with professionally based in Milton Keynes who may be able to help.

He did the one on my 1600E Cortina and I was very pleased with it.

Let me know if you want his details and I'll give him a call to get a price for you.

Regards,

Nick,
Nick Godfrey
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 am

I would be grateful if you could let me know as well as my wheel could do with the leather being replace. I live in the Milton Keynes area so could deliver by hand. 8)

Thanks,

Karl

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: thor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:43 am

Nick,. If you would it would be great !, and let med know his price and contact details, I'm very interested. Does it give as nice and tight a fit as should be?
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: