Steering Rack Height Shim markings

PostPost by: Lincoln62 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I know there has been lots of discussion about rack height shims in the past but none of those topics answered my question.

I have pulled my rack out of my S2 to tighten it up.

It didn't have any shims on the mounts and I can't see any markings to indicate a shim size.

Should the markings be on the top side or underneath?

It has a galvanized chassis so it is a replacement, likely from the early 80's.

I expected markings under the rubber bushings? Is it possible that the shim size is zero and there are no markings? Could the paint on the chassis hide the markings?

I've had the car for 23 years and it drives perfectly but if the previous owner forgot to put shims in then now is the time to rectify it.

Pete
Lincoln62
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:40 pm

There are many possibilities, but imho it seems it's time to do a bump steer check, and find out exactly what the shims ought to be :mrgreen:

I can recommend the laser and mirror method.

Lincoln62 wrote:I know there has been lots of discussion about rack height shims in the past but none of those topics answered my question.

I expected markings under the rubber bushings? Is it possible that the shim size is zero and there are no markings? Could the paint on the chassis hide the markings?

I've had the car for 23 years and it drives perfectly but if the previous owner forgot to put shims in then now is the time to rectify it.

Pete
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: