A-frame

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:15 am

Morning, all.
I know this is less technical than you are used to, but I am looking for advice.

I brought a nice second hand rear a-frame for my +2. It has cleaned up well. While the paint dried, I thought I'd whip off the old bent one. The outer end was no problem (surprise), nor was undoing the nuts from the inner bolts. However, the bolts themselves seem to seized or rusted firmly in the metallistic bushes.

What are your suggestions for getting it apart?
Is there a sure way of driving the bolts out?
The best way to cut the bolts off?
can it be done with a padsaw, jigsaw or angle grinder?

thanks and best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:36 am

Iain

Seized inner bolts on the rear A frame are just about as bad as it gets in dismantling problems on an Elan.

If the A frame is badly bent and not to be reused then easiest just to take to it with an angle grinder and cut the inner legs off the frame and then cut through the inner bushing and bolt. Be careful not to cut the chassis by accident as you do this.

Trying to get the bolt out without cutting the A frame will require a lot of time and effort with either heating to try to free the bolt in the inner - without setting fire to the chassis or body or a very slow hand cutting job with a hacksaw blade between the bolt and the chassis lugs

When you reassemble ensure use use plenty of copper or nickel based anti sieze on the bolt.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:57 pm

On my S4 i took the exhaust off and had a friend whack a long bar while i held the end against the bolt - they should be heads towards each other - this eventually worked with releasing oil over everything! As for the bolt towards the front... long messy job involving a tyre lever, a hammer and patience... once the head of the bolt moved a few mm's by tapping (hard) the tyre lever resting against the head, I was able to lever and hammer using thin spanners and the tyre lever.

What a messer! But i did it. Just to put new bushes in too!

Good luck
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: