Front suspension tightening

PostPost by: Uboat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi,

I am about to assemble my front suspension with new polyurethane bushes in the wishbones. Do I need to tighten the wishbone bolts when the ride height is correct (wishbones parallell to the ground), or can I tighten suspension when the wheels are taken of and the car is lifted?

Is it the same procedure with rubber and poly bushes?

/Ulf
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm

According to the manual tighten to the correct torque all suspension nuts and bolts when the car is at the correct ride height.

Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Ulf,

there are different suppliers of those bushes & they may have differing designs i.e operating modes.

You can best help yourself with this question by pre-assembling the wishbones onto the chassis before fitting the spring/damper units & anti-roll bar.

If the wishbones move freely when tightened up then you can tighten the finished assembly at whatever stage suits you.
If however the wishbones bind or are difficult to move then tightening the finished assembly will need to be done with the weight of the car on its wheels.
You shouldn't subject the bushes to shear forces, regardless of if they're rubber or polyurethane.

Good luck!
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Thought polly bushes were different & u lube the inner ferrule so does not matter when u tighten, where as the o/e rubber is as per the manual at ride hieght. Av got my ttr destructions somewhere so can/will check. Curly 1964 26Rr Forth Bridge style rebuild :) :D
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:40 pm

I thought the issue was compression rather than friction. If so lube or no lube wouldn't matter. :?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Poly bushed operate in a totally different way to the original "Metalastic Type" bushes that need to be at the neutral ride height when fixed in position. Poly bushes are effectively loose and really do not need such positioning - especially when lubed.
However, it is good practice to fix suspension parts in the neutral position - IMO.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Just one small point!

I have poly all round except for the front lower shocker bush. It is rubber. For that reason alone I will do ride height to tighten the bolt through that one. You may have poly there.............?

Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 pm

MickG wrote:According to the manual tighten to the correct torque all suspension nuts and bolts when the car is at the correct ride height.

Mick G

My manual must be an old one, it does not mention poly bushes at all.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 pm

My manual is an old one (like me)and doesn?t mention poly bushes. Maybe I'm just too old school and always tighten up the suspension with the car at ride normal height. Right or wrong,Elan or not!
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: