shock doesnt fit

PostPost by: phatmendus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:52 am

hi,

I have just recieved my rear inserts which are AVO types. I have slid the insert/shock into the tuber and done up the top nut. Easy you would think, however the shock seems to be too short for the nut to clamp it in place, either that or somehow my tube has stretched!! I have checked I have the correct shocks, and I bought them from Paul Mattys. They are correct but they do not know what to do either. HAs anyone else ever had this problem? If so can anyone give any advice or even explain why it is like it is.

Thanks

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:39 am

I cant give you an explaination as to your shocks but a couple of things that I have encountered, I once fitted shocks for someone and the old ones were short (from another car??) there were spacers in the bottom to make up the distence, the new ones were fine.
Another time because the threads in the top of the tube were damaged (from being peened) the gland nut "cross threaded" and although it appeared to go in O.K. it was not going all the way down leaving the shock loose, a new gland nut was needed and carefully fitted.
Are the new shocks the same length as the old units ?
Another thought, are you useing new gland nuts and are they the same as the originals?
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:09 pm

The old shocks are the same length as the new ones, however the difference occurs because the old shocks had a flat base, where as the new ones have a bulge at the base which locates it in the bottom of the tube. Because of this the new shock sinks down the distance of the bulge, and is therefore to short by that much. I have ended up having to add a spacer to the top which is a real pain, and not what you expect to have to do with new shocks. Also yeh I recived new end caps with the shocks and am using those, it is screwing the whole way down

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: