lotus elan spinners

PostPost by: foyo1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:07 pm

could someone tell why my knock on wheel spinners turn inwards from the outer edge rather than the normal type of turning outward from from the iner edge?
foyo1
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Not sure but I think it was a safety measure adopted for the U.S. market.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:34 pm

That must be an early Federal type, or maybe a 'Super Safety' model - dangerous things those spinners you know !!
You may have other strange 'safety' features too, like instrument bezels that are recessed into the dash. I'm sure other someone will know the complete list....
What country does it originate from ? Switzerland, Sweden, or US ?

Kind regards,
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:19 am

Hello, what's a 'Super Safety' model? I have an extra set of these reversed spinners, why are they dangerous? What do we think of the "Large Federal Capped Nut" ?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:31 am

I have wondered if the Super Safety was a North American only model as I have not found any specfic info in Robertshaw & Ross. From what I have observed the Super Safety is a very late 1967 to early 1968 model S3. They seem to differ from a typical S3 in that they usually have rocker switch dashes, smaller inside door handles, dual cylinder brake master cylinders and some other equipment such as possibly 3 point belts and the inward pointing spinners if they had KOs, but many appear to have had bolt-on wheels as OE.
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:50 pm

"Roger Sieling" <rogsie@...>
Date: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:28 pm
Subject: wish to reach forum member rogsie@...
Send Email

Just read the forums over lunch and wondering if I can reach member 1964S1 from
Hamilton Cty Ohio. If your Elan is not a Super Safety, do you wish to sell your
Super Safety KO nuts?

I have a SS w/ bolt-on wheels and for years have contemplated changing to KO
wheels. If I got all the bits together to do so, including the larger bearing
hubs, spindles and uprights, I'd want to use SS spinners to keep it right.

Roger

===============================================

This has been posted on the elan.net mailing list.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:12 am

heck yeah I'll sell you the spinners.... Does your car have the equipment referred to by marc fuller? Is your car right hand drive? I'd never heard of Super Safety models before and always wondered what these knock offs were all about. Thanks, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:29 am

There was a S3 Coupe S/S on ebay (from California) a couple of weeks ago with rocker switches, inward pointing spinners and SS for Super Safety on the side. I kept the photos if anyone wants a copy PM me or let me know how to put them on this thread. The item is at:
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-LOTUS-ELAN-COUPE-RESTORED-CA-CAR-58K-MI_W0QQitemZ4587376459QQcategoryZ6312QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Without wanting to lower the tone, I'm pretty sure that the term Super Safety caused a stir at the time because this was the name of a popular brand of condom!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:06 am

Going slightly off topic here, sorry.

The Super Safety model, or SS, was sold in the US from 1967 to July 1968. It was an updated S3 Elan, introduced to meet new US safety and polution legislation, which came into effect from January 1968.

At this time all Elans sent to the US were Special Equipment models. The changes to begin with were additional padding to the dashboard surround. This was followed later by replacing the toggle switches with the rocker style (later seen across the range in S4 and +2 elans), the BMC flush-fit door handle, hazard light switch, brake fluid warning light and the repalcement of knock-off wheel nuts with the earless type. In addition, dual circuit braking was fitted and an air injection system, along with the wide ratio gearbox and the 3.55:1 diff.

Anyone Stateside have any additional info?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: