Replace brake servo

PostPost by: b-havers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:58 pm

stugilmour wrote:
Bjorn-Anders, sorry for the minor hijack of your thread, but you may want to consider ditching the servo(s)? Lets see what the group says 'cus the winter is the time to do it and with the tax on your new servo it is definitely cheaper!

that's OK, Stu, always interesting to read other peoples opinions.
I still haven't decided what to do - but as I have ben driving with the defect servo for years (well, the car has bee off road the latest two seasons...), and not experienced any other problems than loss of fluid and a rarther low pedal, I guess it can't be much worse removing the servo totally.

I'll think about it.
Guess a set of new softer pads are cheaper than the new servo, anyway..

have a nice weekend, folks!
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'95 Caterham Seven Roadsport
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

Life is too short to drive boring cars
b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Stu, post a picture of your pedal box in the car: I'm pretty sure the Spitfire 1500 Tandem Master cylinder I used will fit in the LHD configuration pretty easily. For me it was a bit of a hastle because the outlet ports are hard-up against the fibreglass (on the right side of the car -inner fender) and even with banjo connectors, I had to relieve the bodywork.

The reason I went for the Spitfire 1500 tandem master cylinder is because it's a quality item made in the Japanese (Girling Lucas Verity?) factory. I'm guessing that people will keep making spares for those Spitfire 1500s for a long time to come. check out the James Paddock Website, they have photos of the item http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/Stock.asp ... category=2

Anyway, happy to give you any measurements you may need. Inner diameter is either stock 0.7" or might be 0.75" (I'll need to check my paper files)

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:Bjorn-Anders,
<snip> Also keep in mind that the Elan and +2 use different servos, the difference being the servo gain. The +2 servo has a maximum gain of about 3:1 whereas the servo for the Elan has a maximum gain of about 2:1. The two are distinguishable by the diameter of the pressed metal housing for the actuating diaphragm. The +2 servo has the larger diameter diaphragm, hence the greater servo gain. If you buy through one of the standard suppliers of Lotus parts you should get the correct one. Rdssdi mentioned SJ Sportscars and this may be a good choice for you.

In my experience, the Delphi Lockheed replacement servos for the Elan and +2 are externally indistinguishable. Even Classicar Automotive, who supplied my most recent replacement, couldn't tell the difference, and sent me the wrong one. The difference in boost is achieved by using different slave cyl diameters. The Elan, Part No. LR17818, boost 1.9:1, has a dia of 11/16", the +2 Part No. 18221, boost 3:1, is 5/8"

I can't speak for the Elan, but with the servo out of service on my +2 ,the braking was totally inadequate, although the pedal felt much harder. Also bear in mind the standardpedal box mounting is quite weak, and flexes considerably with even normal pedal effort.
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:42 am

Hi Sean,
nice hearing from you again. Are you doing well?
Got a new car, I can see :-)

I'll foreward this info to Steve at S J Sportscar, and see if he is sure he'll send me the correct servo. Thanks for the info. And please say hello to Eva :-)
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:17 pm

b-havers wrote:Hi Sean,
nice hearing from you again. Are you doing well?
Got a new car, I can see :-)

I'll foreward this info to Steve at S J Sportscar, and see if he is sure he'll send me the correct servo. Thanks for the info. And please say hello to Eva :-)

Yes, we're well, so is Foxie after the trip to Brno in September ! :mrgreen:

I'm curious, where do you see I have a "new" car ? :shock:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 pm

from your signature, a '68 and the 70 +2.
Or did you have them both when we met a couple of years ago??
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 am

b-havers wrote:from your signature, a '68 and the 70 +2.
Or did you have them both when we met a couple of years ago??

I am ashamed to say I bought the '68 +2 in 2000, and still have not got it on the road :oops:

I thought you had come across my most recent purchase somewhere else on the 'net :shock:

1989 M-technics cabriolet with an M50 Vanos conversion. Needed a lot of repairs, last job just now replacing cracked cyl head :lol:

We like it ! :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCI0023A (Custom).JPG and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:04 am

Ach so, ein Bimmer ! Das ist gut!!!!

We also swapped the Mondeo for a BMW (520dat) just before Christmas - but now I'm longing for the summer (hmm, still -10 degrees below zero and close to 75cm snow in the garden...) and driving the Lotuses :-)

Plan is still to take one of them to Ireland or Scotland, and drive The Long And Winding Roads :lol:
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 am

gerrym wrote:Stu, post a picture of your pedal box in the car: I'm pretty sure the Spitfire 1500 Tandem Master cylinder I used will fit in the LHD configuration pretty easily. For me it was a bit of a hastle because the outlet ports are hard-up against the fibreglass (on the right side of the car -inner fender) and even with banjo connectors, I had to relieve the bodywork.

The reason I went for the Spitfire 1500 tandem master cylinder is because it's a quality item made in the Japanese (Girling Lucas Verity?) factory. I'm guessing that people will keep making spares for those Spitfire 1500s for a long time to come. check out the James Paddock Website, they have photos of the item http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/Stock.asp ... category=2

Anyway, happy to give you any measurements you may need. Inner diameter is either stock 0.7" or might be 0.75" (I'll need to check my paper files)

Regards
Gerry

Sorry for the delay in getting the pics Gerry. Here are a few. Any help appreciated. Pretty much everything else sorted over the weekend. Just waiting on the diff now.
Attachments
PDW Valve.jpg and
This pic shows the PDW Valve; it is a shuttle valve that indicates loss of fluid in one of the brake circuits.
Master Cylinder.jpg and
This pic shows the tandem master cylinder and the space constraints. The plastic tank with black cap is a Volvo coolant expansion tank.
Master Cylinder Conections.jpg and
This pic shows the tandem master cylinder connections on the left side of the housing.
Dual Boosters.jpg and
This pic shows the dual boosters for the Federal dual circuit set-up. They are mounted on the right inner fender area and take a LOT of space!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Stu, a brake fluid reservoir that will match the GMC226 Master cylinder can be obtained from Burtons. Their part number BRK043.
http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-cat ... rk043.html.
The centres of the outlets match the master cylinder inlet spacing exactly. The angled "pipe" stubs just pull out of "rubber" grommets.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 am

oillite wrote:I dont know if this company my be of use to you:- http://www.pastparts.co.uk

My servo back from 'Past Parts' fully tested and 12 months warranty.
Attachments
Servo 005 (Small).jpg and
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:23 pm

And so, after just seven days (must be new record for a parcel from UK to Norway - and most of the delays are always related to the fu*** norwegian customs...), the new Lockhead servo arrived.
Now it is just to wait for temperature to rise at least 10 deg C before I enter the garage.

Meanwhile I'm planning to buy another toy car, one of just 750 made, in 1975, for a car factory's 50 years anniversary.
Guess what car?

And Coupe; with bigger tiles on the floor, the servo looks smaller...
Attachments
bilde1.JPG and
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:38 pm

b-havers wrote:And so, after just seven days (must be new record for a parcel from UK to Norway - and most of the delays are always related to the fu*** norwegian customs...), the new Lockhead servo arrived.
Now it is just to wait for temperature to rise at least 10 deg C before I enter the garage.

Meanwhile I'm planning to buy another toy car, one of just 750 made, in 1975, for a car factory's 50 years anniversary.
Guess what car?

And Coupe; with bigger tiles on the floor, the servo looks smaller...

MGB GT? Green & Gold?

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
MGB GT? Green & Gold?

Cheers - Richard

Bingo :lol:
Bjorn-Anders, Norway