Wishbone bushes

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't think the internal "shear" of the rubber will do anything in reality to control the ride height. Tightening them at normal ride height, however, will minimise the maximum deflection in each direction and prevent the bush failiing prematurely due to excessive deflection.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 am

hi,

hacksaw as described in previous posting should always work but you have to have patience and work slowly. once the bushes are removed I fitted autobush bushes. they are easy to fit and removed and inexpensive. I have these fitted to the rear of my plus two and have a front set ready in case I need those. The rear original styled bushes wore out pretty quickly. the rubber sheared away from the outer steel casing. no such problems with the autobush bushes. just my 2 cents of advice, I have no financial or any other gain with autobush but I am just a happy customer. their service was prompt as well, considering they are in the UK and I am in NZ.
cheers and good luck
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 am

With polybushes on the front wishbones, keep in mind that the ease of fitting (low insertion forces) also means that there is a danger that the wishbone can slide off the bush in service.

While it is standard with the rubber/metal bush to provide a large washer to prevent the wishbone sliding off the outer end of the pivot stud, with polybushes I found (and others reported the same) that axial location (ie another large washer) is also needed on the INNER part of the wishbone pivot. This is something that the fitting instructions do not mention.... until you phone them up and explain that the wishbones keep sliding off.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 am

I agree with Gerry. Ended up using half thickness nylocks though to fit it all on to the spindle.
Colin.

gerrym wrote:With polybushes on the front wishbones, keep in mind that the ease of fitting (low insertion forces) also means that there is a danger that the wishbone can slide off the bush in service.

While it is standard with the rubber/metal bush to provide a large washer to prevent the wishbone sliding off the outer end of the pivot stud, with polybushes I found (and others reported the same) that axial location (ie another large washer) is also needed on the INNER part of the wishbone pivot. This is something that the fitting instructions do not mention.... until you phone them up and explain that the wishbones keep sliding off.

Regards
Gerry
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey guys, it is essential to use side thrust washers and a correct
width stainless inner spacer tube with urethane bushes fitted to
the front wishbones.

The bush kit below is what I use in my S2 elan,I have
used them for 25 years and never had to replace them.
They are not moulded items, they have been machined from
rod material, many of the molded items are incorrect.
Machining of bushes is slow but allows perfect fit to the
wishbones.
Another tip; don't use one single nyloc nut per side, instead,
machine two narrow nuts and lock them together, they will
never move.

Col
Attachments
bush-installation-0005.jpg and
bush-kit-0010.jpg and
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear