Remote Reservoirs and Master Cylinders

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi guys,

I am sure this has been discussed before but I've just spent an hour in the archives and couldn't figure it out...

I want to fit remote reservoirs for the practicality. What size remote reservoirs do I need to fit? I ask because in the pictures of cars with remote reservoirs most seem to have same size ones for both the clutch and the brake. So would two of these be good for both: http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/brakes/brake-master-cylinders-reservoirs/brk019.html

Thank you.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Adi,

Sorry I just re-read this, I presume you already have the master cylinders? If so then yes the reservoirs are fine as the same size for brake and clutch, just order the small ones. Otherwise if you need the master cylinders to go with them-

The clutch m/c is 5/8 bore, I think the brake one is 0.75 but not 100% on it.

I bought the wilwood ones for my (spyder zetec so different bores) S4 & got them all from rally design & they will make up the link pipes whatever length etc that you need, ask for Andy Taylor & he'll see you right.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php? ... 62_582_583

As with most though the clevis usually needs filing out to fit over the pedal -the slot isn't quite as deep as the originals.

HTH
Mark.
Last edited by Mark B on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

adigra wrote:I want to fit remote reservoirs for the practicality. What size remote reservoirs do I need to fit?

Adi,
A quick answer is to fit a remote reservoir not smaller than the integral reservoir of the standard master cylinder in question. The reservoir you pointed to at the Burton web site is certainly large enough for the brakes and much larger than you need for the clutch. If you see photos of cars with two remote reservoirs of the same size it is quite possible that the car has been modified to have separate master cylinders for the front and rear brakes. In this case it is appropriate for both brake reservoirs to be the same size.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Thank you both.

My confusion is mostly just about the reservoir sizes as I can't find any reference to the exact volume I would require. The Burton site just lists the dimensions, but they don't compare to any of the integral ones.

Would the one I linked to be OK to use for both the brake and the clutch (even if it is too big)?

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:17 pm

adigra wrote:My confusion is mostly just about the reservoir sizes as I can't find any reference to the exact volume I would require. The Burton site just lists the dimensions, but they don't compare to any of the integral ones.

Adi,
The remote reservoir you pointed to is 58 mm in outer diameter and 112 mm tall including the threaded fitting at the bottom. Burton also list the standard Girling master cylinders with large integral reservoir for brake applications:

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-cat ... rk071.html

The outer diameter of the integral reservoir is 61 mm. Scaling from the photo at the Burton site I would say that the integral reservoir is close to 100 mm tall. The cast aluminum reservoir has a much thicker wall than do the plastic remotes. So I would say that the remote you identified is intended to be an equivalent to the large Girling integral unit. It should be fine for the brakes and a bit big for the clutch. The small Girling integral reservoirs for clutch application have an outer diameter of 44 mm.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 pm

The reservoir size isn't critical as long as you keep an eye on the level. In theory you shouldn't be using any fluid in the clutch circuit and very little in the brake circuit(s) - the latter just to make up for pad wear.

I replaced my brake m/c with a tandem unit but have only one reservoir. It's tee'd to supply both chambers. I bought two reservoirs but my mechanic plumbed in only one. Again, it's not an issue unless I have a leak or completely ignore brake wear!! :shock:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks a lot gentlemen, I really appreciate the help. I think that answers my questions. All of the usual suppliers seem to carry that reservoir as the smallest one. To be honest I prefer them the same size for the looks :roll: Interestingly Paul Matty only has the integral ones. I would think the remote reservoirs would've been a very common upgrade for the ease of access...

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Oh, a quick question. Any opinions about non-Girling vs Girling cylinders? The non ones are half the price...
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 pm

My take on the original question:-
Yes.
I've used them on my car for over 10 years without any noticeable problems.
Having the reservoirs positioned where they are immediately visible is a big +

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Adigra ,
I've done that mod on "OEW" ...
I have to check the order form , and You ll have the basic for a good start .
My question is ; where are you going to hang these reservoirs !?!
Because , obviously , you may have two possibilities :
The first , on the left hand , because you need to check the levels AND because of the king sized airbox (TTR for ex. ,as for me)
The second possibility is , only to make check easier , and keep them right handed.
These two possibilities ll ask for differents hydraulics jonctions , elbows(?) and (or) heat shield will be necessary if routed left hand .
It a (some time) delicate work, but after that , you ll have a real peace full life , just a look thru and that's it !
Stay tuned ,
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks John, that's good to know. I want to do it for the ease of access and keeping an eye on the levels, so it's great to hear from owners who've proven it over the years.

Christian, if you could find out the order that would be fantastic! Thank you very much! I want to place them on the passenger side as that's where I have the most room. I have a big airbox as well so there will be no room on the driver's side.

Thanks everyone for the help. As always the answers here are the best help anyone could hope for.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Here are a couple of photos which show where I fitted the remote reservoirs in my RHD S4.
Ignore the strange engine!

Cheers
John
Attachments
Engine2.jpg and
Engine1.jpg and
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 pm

That is one serious engine bay! I'd love to see that in person.

Where did you put the fuse box?
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

adigra wrote:That is one serious engine bay! I'd love to see that in person.

Where did you put the fuse box?

Me not.
I rather be behind the steering wheel!
btw , and before I put my hand on the order , this show exactly the same reservoirs, at the same place.
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Adi ,

I have a slightly different take on the remotes - I like the look of the Girling metal can type remotes , they look period correct and come in different styles . In the elan bay they would almost disappear were it not for the silver cap on one of them.

George
Attachments
girling.JPG and
girling2.jpg and
Last edited by cabc26b on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: