?lan steering

PostPost by: Terry L » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:34 am

My Sprint seems overly sensitive to bump steer. Whe cresting a rise while turning, the change in direction is disconcerting. I did not experience anything similar in my Elise nor do I recall it from my ?lan many years ago. All bushings have been replaced as have the shocks. My mechanic says the rack is fine as are the rod ends. Any thoughts? Is this a common issue?
Terry L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 am

Rack shims wrong?
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:47 am

+1

It sounds like your rack needs to be correctly shimmed for bump steer. There are a number of threads on this in the archives.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Make sure the rest of the front suspension is in good shape before going through the bump steer procedure. Worn trunnions can cause this, too.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:45 pm

If as you say above the suspension / steering bushings are all new and correctly fitted etc then bump steer is more than likely your problem. As Mike says above there are lots of bits of info on many threads relating to this ,but one of the best bits of info I have seen which is quite precise and gives you the exact dimension one needs from the top of the top wishbone mounts to the rack platform either side is in Brian Buckland's book 'How to rebuild a Lotus Elan'. His book has a very good page relating to this set up and gives exact size to be aimed at. Do you have the book (recommended!)? If not, get one! Available from Club Lotus.

The dimension you need is 158 mm...

Place a straight edge across the two top wishbone mounts and measure carefully from the BOTTOM of the straight edge to the top of your shim pack either side and correct to give 158mm. Dead on. +/- B A !

There are a few methods sworn by by folks various using mirrors and lazers etc, so standby for the here's how I do it answers.

As mike says its all been covered to death... Check it out.

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: