Plus 2 wheels on Elan

PostPost by: finn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:46 am

Hi,

Apologies if this has been discussed before but we have attempted to fit + 2 alloy wheels to our S3 Elan. The fronts seem fine but on the rears the wheel fouls the wish bone, what is the best way to make these fit, we thought grinding the wish bone slightly???

Any advice would be welcome,,
finn
New-tral

PostPost by: miked » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:18 am

I am going to be doing this soon but not yet. I have all the bits ready. This may be a silly question: but have you changed the rear hubs to the deeper plus two ones. Might be talking rubbish as the alloys may not fit on the noral little elan hubs. Still there you go!

Mike :oops:
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: finn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:47 am

Hi Mike,

No we kept the original hubs on, it's only a small area that fouls, it seems that the original wheels may have slightly suffered too as there are some marks in the rim.

Surely the hubs don't need changing!!?? I hope not..
finn
New-tral

PostPost by: wildoliver » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:58 am

+ 2 and baby elan hubs are different.
wildoliver
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:14 pm

Yeh, if you have the Robinshaw & Ross book you will see the different off set. I am going to be putting all the plus two hubs on the car. Re: the mark on the wheels, I had a plus two that had "shot" outer "a" frame bushes and on hard corners it would touch the inner part of the wheel. Suggets you check your bushes as the strut can move to and fro' under accel' and braking.

Don't want to do the Ploy thing again on here but thats why I did poly' bushes to limit that business. I dont think the rubber on these modern bushes is anything like it used to be. Gone and shot in a short time.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: finn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi Mike,

We have the poly type bushes on there as it going to be used for some racing. The car has not turned a wheel yet as it is under going a full (slow!!) restoration.

Basically we put the wheel on while it was jacked up and the outer part of the bottom wish bone is touching inside the rim..

I know that these wheels can be used on the baby elan as I've seen quite a few around.

Regards
finn
New-tral

PostPost by: miked » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:11 pm

You are right the wheels do go on but as far as I am aware you must use the plus two hubs to move you outward away from the bones. Perhaps the marks on the old wheel are old wounds.

Plus two hubs are two a penny. You should be able to get them from Wiggy at Spyder or at Stoneliegh. There are others on this forum who know much more than I do about this subject. Tonight you will probably get some feedback

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: finn » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 pm

Thanks again for your comments Mike, I will find out for definite and post on here for others.

Better get the shopping list raedy for Stoneleigh.!!
finn
New-tral

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:11 pm

If you move the wheels further out with +2 hubs, surely there is a danger of the outer tyre wall rubbing on the wing(fender)?

I fitted minilites to my S4 with 155 x 13 tyres and had to grind away some of the wheel arch return.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: