Steering rack shimming

PostPost by: sulzeruk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Had a head scratching day yesterday refitting my steering rack. I see that it sits to the right hand side rather than sitting centrally on the top of the chassis. What is the easiest way to check the shimming of the rack is correct as I don't think this has been done properly as the left side of the rack has about 0.5mm, the right side is about 3mm? Any ideas anyone?
Al Cowan
sulzeruk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Al

I personally would stick to the factory recommended settings and these will be stamped on the chassis adjacent to where the rack mounts are bolted. Unfortunatly, if the chassis is of any age (and I assume we're talking here of an assembled car not a bare chassis) reading what's written can be quite tricky. I had to fumble about with wire brushes and mirrors to see what was on my chassis, but it was there, and I did find it in the end.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Do a search for Bump steer
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Neils is correct. The shims are there to minimise bump steer. The 0.5mm / 3mm could be correct if the chassis was not 100% symmetrical.

Unless you want to remeasure and reset the bump steer, I would leave alone. Note the original factory measurrements are probably illegible and if the chassis has sagged at all, will be incorrect. When I say sagged, this would cover incorrect jacking.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: