Are knock-ons correct on a S2?

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Gary and others,

I was at a LOG over ten years ago, which Graham Arnold also attended. The question was asked about the chrome bumpers and he again said there was only one set. But I'm thinking he said they were binned after so many car changes as they began to look long in tooth. I don't remember an actual amount but I remember that cost was the reason they were never produced.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm

At another of the older LOGs, I asked Ron Hickman in a formal discussion why the S1 and S2 Elan "reverted" to the little boot lid covering a hole, when the Elite had a nice design that came to the rear of the car, eliminating the water drainage issues. Then with the introduction of the FHC and the S3 and S4 cars, the boot lid design emulated the Elite.

Ron said that even as the Elan was being developed, that Chapman still wanted it to be a monocoque like the Elite, except it needed to be a convertible top, so the boot lid was that way for strength. I think he may have said that even that lid was a compromise and that the design initially had been like a bug-eyed Sprite with no lid at all. Remember, the Elan backbone frame was initially thrown together as a means of testing the powertrain, while the body issues were worked on separately.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear