Are knock-ons correct on a S2?

PostPost by: Type26s2 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:14 am

Hi everyone. First post here so please be easy with me & I apologize if this has been brought up before but are knock-ons correct to put on a 1965 S2? My understanding is that knock-ons were introduced on Special Equipment cars in January 1966 & were not an option prior to that.

Thanks for your help!

Todd

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:04 am

According to the type26register site, the S/E model was introduced at unit 5282:

http://www.type26register.com/spec_changes.html

What's your unit number?

Most spec changes were introduced in an "undisciplined" way, with old parts being used until they ran out, and no definitive change points. Since the S/E was an option you paid extra for, I would have thought the situation would be different, and you wouldn't have had S/E parts "accidentally" fitted to cars that weren't meant to have them, but you can never be sure.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 am

I helped Tim put the 'originality' stuff together, and we hunted high and low to find out when the K/Os were introduced as an option. Then I found it on a price list, issued when the S2 was announced, as an optional extra!

So, quite original on all S2 cars.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:40 am

Chrome plated bumpers were also an optional extra, on the price list, but that doesn't mean any ever existed :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 am

I think that this price list was pretty realistic. It came with the launch brochure (an S1 item) picked up by the owner in 1964 when he enquired abouut buying one of the 'new' S2 Elans....no chrome bumbers---yet!

Both my S2 cars had / have knock-ons, and neither are S/E models. Doesn't prove too much without this little price list though......

Mark
Attachments
64 S2 Brochure Supp Front small.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Dave Bean has chrome bumpers on his personal S2. When I talked to Dave at the Ironstone Concours in Sept, he told me they were installed on the factory press demonstrator cars and rotated on several cars.
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Graham Arnold had chrome bumpers fitted to his car and swapped them each time he changed car. This was also used as a press car. I thought he had the only set made..?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Now that's interesting. I just noticed that if you bought the car fully built the option of Hard Top (No Soft Top) is on there. I would have guested that if you optioned for the hardtop then the soft top would always be included.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

pamitchell wrote:
Post subject: Re: Are knock-ons correct on a S2?

Dave Bean has chrome bumpers on his personal S2. When I talked to Dave at the Ironstone Concours in Sept, he told me they were installed on the factory press demonstrator cars and rotated on several cars.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:00

Robbie693 wrote:Graham Arnold had chrome bumpers fitted to his car and swapped them each time he changed car. This was also used as a press car. I thought he had the only set made..?

Robbie

Picture the scene March 2003, Ron Hickman is standing next to David Kayser at Donington with David showing Ron a half a dozen or so Photos of the first built Elan Coupe with the Chrome bumpers and another 4 or 5 people standing around listening in including myself. Every one is asking questions and Ron is answering as fast as they are asked. I wish I had a tape recorder but I guess I would have only got the marching band that was parading up and down the isles. Anyway, David pointed to the chrome bumpers and Ron states that only the one pair was made. The reason being that the old man nearly dropped when the bill came in for 700 quid. IF I were a betting man I would guess that the ones that Dave Bean has now are the very same ones on the original demonstrator.
Last edited by garyeanderson on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I'll ask Dave or Ken Gray for more history next time I see them. Times have changed. You can now spray paint a chrome finish on to plastic/fiberglass at a reasonable cost. I saw a video clip on Jay Lenos web site recently. Hmm. ..chromed Elan anyone?
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:01 pm

pamitchell wrote:I'll ask Dave or Ken Gray for more history next time I see them. Times have changed. You can now spray paint a chrome finish on to plastic/fiberglass at a reasonable cost. I saw a video clip on Jay Lenos web site recently. Hmm. ..chromed Elan anyone?

I have a spray tin of that stuff. I was planning to re-spray my rear-light surrounds, which presently are painted same colour as my bumpers & side stripe.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:27 pm

My car was built in 1965 and has K-O wheels.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 am

garyeanderson wrote:
pamitchell wrote:

Robbie693 wrote:Graham Arnold had chrome bumpers fitted to his car and swapped them each time he changed car. This was also used as a press car. I thought he had the only set made..?

Robbie

Picture the scene March 2003, Graham Arnold is standing next to David Kayser at Donington with David showing Graham a half a dozen or so Photos of the first built Elan Coupe with the Chrome bumpers and another 4 or 5 people standing around listening in including myself. Every one is asking questions and Graham is answering as fast as they are asked. I wish I had a tape recorder but I guess I would have only got the marching band that was parading up and down the isles. Anyway, David pointed to the chrome bumpers and Graham states that only the one pair was made. The reason being that the old man nearly dropped when the bill came in for 700 quid. IF I were a betting man I would guess that the ones that Dave Bean has now are the very same ones on the original demonstrator.

I did wonder when Phil mentioned it - I'd say that was a pretty safe bet. Great story!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 am

Robbie693 wrote:
garyeanderson wrote:
pamitchell wrote:

Robbie

Picture the scene March 2003, Graham Arnold is standing next to David Kayser at Donington with David showing Graham a half a dozen or so Photos of the first built Elan Coupe with the Chrome bumpers and another 4 or 5 people standing around listening in including myself. Every one is asking questions and Graham is answering as fast as they are asked. I wish I had a tape recorder but I guess I would have only got the marching band that was parading up and down the isles. Anyway, David pointed to the chrome bumpers and Graham states that only the one pair was made. The reason being that the old man nearly dropped when the bill came in for 700 quid. IF I were a betting man I would guess that the ones that Dave Bean has now are the very same ones on the original demonstrator.

I did wonder when Phil mentioned it - I'd say that was a pretty safe bet. Great story!

Robbie

Hi Robbie

The story would be even better if I had used the right name, Ron Hickman was the focus of the questions, not Graham. Graham was at the show that year but I just flatly got it wrong earlier when I wrote it. I edited the post that I submitted this morning to reflect my bad recollection of names.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Gary,

:lol: Happens to me all the time

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: