Canley classic vertical link (Btm ball joint)

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:52 pm

gerrym wrote:Peter, I agree with you that there must be a flaw. Think I'll keep going until I find it though!

Gerry

Is there enough clearance for a grease nipple between the bottom of the trunnion and the inside of the Wheel (when fitted).
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Bill, any chance of a measurement (and a photo) of clearance.

I'm hopeful there is enough clearance for a plug at least. The wheel could be removed for the lube (and to insert the grease nipple). Probably no bad thing to remove the wheel and check the brakes etc at the same time as a grease.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 pm

I'll see if I can take a photo in the near future, though 'twould be more easily done by someone who has their body off the chassis at the moment.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 pm

The Canley Classic is no more than an adaptation of the traditional modification of the Triumph upright used by any number of older small formula and sports race cars. It is not unique.

Many very early formula and sports racers used a more or less unmodified Triumph spindle upright, but eventually the advantage of being able to design a suspension with an engineered roll center led to machining the upright to fit a ball joint, with an upper spacer to adjust length, and a locking nut of some form below. I have owned a couple of Lotus, and currently a Merlyn with the lower ball type modification.

Also someone mentioned that they had seen a urethane replacement for the Nylon/Delrin bushing and metal tube for the lower trunnion, the assumption that it would be used to replace the metal tube. I would be interested in what the claim is for that, as the design should have a rigid pivot, which wouldn?t be the case with urethane.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:02 pm

I used the poly bushes from Sue Miller with stainless spacer. So far so good but I put them together with a good lick of Copperslip. I have inspected them regularly (Ramp!) and they do seam to be holding up well.

No noticable increase in road noise / harshness etc..

I have two new uprights sitting waiting to be fitted, but not sure they are needed for what I am doing with the car. It did just over 3 k mls last year including up n down to LeMans. Not a sound or sign of a problem of any kind from the suspension. Back or front. I have polybushed the A frames too... I think I like them now. But was unsure at 1st..

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: