Rear Handbrake

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:16 pm

I have a couple of queries regarding the rear hand brake.

Firstly, having completely stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt the rear callipers I noticed a felt washer/O ring located in the Handbrake Operating Lever Assembly (where the Tie Rod pass through). Does anyone know what is this for and are replacements available?

Secondly, are the Spring Clips used to stop the adjustment nut rotating available? Mine are missing, locknuts having been used instead.

Locating both these items in the UK is preferable.

If anyone has the Girling Service manual and does not mind scanning the relevant Elan/+2 pages, I would greatly appreciate this data sent by PM or, better still, placed on the web site for all to use. If there is a copyright issue my use is purely educational!

Thank you,

Karl

1970 S4 FHC S4
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi Karl,
The trunnion block with the felt washer was originally smeared with tallow and gave some lubrication to the tie rod.
Originally there was a spring clip which located into the serrations on the pivot nut. I take it that your lock nut is the other side of the pivot nut.

You could try BG Developments in Bromsgrove as they have remade hand brake components for other cars but not sure about these particular parts.

If you can wait to next week I should be able to scan what you want - any thing you need to know in particular?

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: