REPOSITION HANDBRAKE LEVER

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:09 pm

I've seen many +2s with the handbrake lever in the central position but only one Elan with this conversion. Has anyone on this forum done such a thing to an Elan?

I found using the handbrake impossible when the car had fixed seatbelts, and still very difficult and uncomfortable even with retractable belts fitted. So it would be more than convenient to do such a conversion.

I am more than capable of working out how do do such a thing, but thought it prudent to ask just in case there are some pitfalls.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Brian,

Are you sure the cars you've seen weren't spyder zetec chassis with a central handbrake lever? My zetec chassis S4 elan has it but never seen a conventional twink elan with such a thing....You'd have to do a fair amount of work to the chassis to mount a central handbrake lever otherwise.

Regards,
Mark.
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Mark B wrote:Brian,

Are you sure the cars you've seen weren't spyder zetec chassis with a central handbrake lever? My zetec chassis S4 elan has it but never seen a conventional twink elan with such a thing....You'd have to do a fair amount of work to the chassis to mount a central handbrake lever otherwise.

Regards,
Mark.

I agree....
there is only the spyder chassis which I know of which is 'prepared' to take a central handbrake......
mmmmmmm angle grinder on the chassis with glass fibre body still on could be 'interesting'
:shock:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:19 pm

There was a post on this forum, towards end of last year, regarding relocating lever between seat and transmission tunnel. Photos were exchanged.

So it has been done.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Mark B wrote:Brian,

Regards,
Mark.

As I said, I've only seen one Elan with a central handbrake lever and it certainly was not a Spyder Zetec job.
I'm now searching the archive files following what Gerry said.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:05 pm

I`ve done it, Mrs. Jim wouldn`t drive the car otherwise, and it was quite simple. I bought an ordinary, slim, handbrake from ebay and bolted it to a plate with a lip on the bottom. The plate was bolted through the lip, floor and the chassis, tight between the seat and the central tunnel. To gear up the action I have a simple lever hinging off the diff. tie rod stud with the cable from the new handbrake lever operating it about 1" up and a rod higher up the lever, about 3", connected to the existing tree. The original mechanism and cable remain in situ with the old cable taped to the wishbone for a (very) quick return to originality.
Simples.
Mr. Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:13 pm

jimj wrote:I`ve done it, Mrs. Jim wouldn`t drive the car otherwise, and it was quite simple. I bought an ordinary, slim, handbrake from ebay and bolted it to a plate with a lip on the bottom. The plate was bolted through the lip, floor and the chassis, tight between the seat and the central tunnel. To gear up the action I have a simple lever hinging off the diff. tie rod stud with the cable from the new handbrake lever operating it about 1" up and a rod higher up the lever, about 3", connected to the existing tree. The original mechanism and cable remain in situ with the old cable taped to the wishbone for a (very) quick return to originality.
Simples.Mr. Jim

Jim,

Pictures. pictures, pictures.......................PLEASE
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:24 pm

jimj wrote:I`ve done it, Mrs. Jim wouldn`t drive the car otherwise, and it was quite simple. I bought an ordinary, slim, handbrake from ebay and bolted it to a plate with a lip on the bottom. The plate was bolted through the lip, floor and the chassis, tight between the seat and the central tunnel. To gear up the action I have a simple lever hinging off the diff. tie rod stud with the cable from the new handbrake lever operating it about 1" up and a rod higher up the lever, about 3", connected to the existing tree. The original mechanism and cable remain in situ with the old cable taped to the wishbone for a (very) quick return to originality.
Simples.
Mr. Jim

sounds like an MG (or simlar) handbrake where its down the side of the tunnel :)
Id like to see the pics too......
the MG has a rounded tunnel so you can get your fingers in......how did it work on the elan :?:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanmac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm

When I bought my S3 I had difficulty in reaching the handbrake so I made a bracket to move the handle 3" nearer to the s/wheel. I can now use the handbrake with my static belt. If you decide to fit a lever between the seats it is probably easier to use if the lever is fitted to the passenger side of the tunnel as in the early sprites and midgets.
Mac
elanmac
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HolmDenmark » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Paul Matty has a rallyprepared S3 FHC for sale, with a "conventional" handbrake lever. Maybe from a Mini ??
Attachments
mattyhandbrakev2.jpg and
Christian - 1965 Elan S3 FHC (being restored)
HolmDenmark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Pictures I have, the ability to reduce them for Elan.net, I don`t have. PM your email address and I can send them.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:06 pm

With Jim's permission, here are his pictures:
bmc 001.jpg and

bmc 002.jpg and

bmc 003.jpg and
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Slightly off topic but does anyone else have the problem of the lap belt part of the three point belt riding up above your hips due to the seat side rails? I do wear the belt but I'm always worried that if it's needed it can cause more damage to me than not wearing one as the belt positions itself over soft tissue rather than the structural hip bones. :cry:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Yes, I find this (belt riding up above hips), but so far I've just put up with it.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 pm

jimj wrote:Pictures I have, the ability to reduce them for Elan.net, I don`t have. PM your email address and I can send them.
Jim

Irfanview is freeware that enables quick and easy re-sizing and reconfiguration of most any image file.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: