Rear Suspension Geometry

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks all.

It seems to me that the height of the outer A-arm fixing point will be influenced by tire diameter (and to a lesser degree tire air pressure) but with the types of tires that will fit into an unaltered Elan wheel well, the range of effects would be small.

For example, using the data Galwaylotus provided on his spreadsheet, my tire/wheel set-up (175/70x13) has a theoretical 0.5 inch increase in tire diameter over the stock 145/80x13, which would then lift the fixing point by 0.25 inch. In practice, at 24psi I found that the change was less than 0.10 inch.

As to adjustable ride height on the rear dampers, I had thought that the Spax gas models supplied by Spyder in their RSC kits were always adjustable, but I can't see a threaded inner collar on mine to allow the spring perch to raise (and I can't remember what they looked like on the set I just sold off ~ one month ago. Absent the adjustment capability on the spring/damper unit, it seem that the only way to adjust ride height is to source a different length for the unit.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: