Square Tyres!!

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Mon May 17, 2010 9:58 am

You may remember I posted a topic a while ago saying my car was handling like a pig. I have now had the tracking set by Spyder which was out at the front but perfect at the rear. I also had a lot of vibration through both the rear and the front which I assumed would be the old steel wheels plus alignment. Well it turns out that I have a flat spot on the tyres probably from the car being stored by the PO in one position over a long period of time which was quite evident whilst on the wheel balancer but obviously not on the car.

I will report how it handles when I get it back this week.
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 pm

You are right to be wary of the tyres! I had a set of rubber on one of my +2's and could not believe how bad they were. Bridg***ne something or other. They were truly awful. No grip and the car felt dreadful! I am sorry to report that I have the same makers items on the Sprint but as I am not hooning around like a thing possessed, its so far so good, and I still have to get the car's set up laser checked yet..But I did a string box set up and it seems to be pretty good so far. Drives nice n straight..Turns in nice and equal and has fair grip. But, as I said, not been going ballistic. Yet!! :roll: Honest!!

They do not like the wrong tyres though... :shock: :shock:

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm a sucker for the Mini Cooper S - could I see some photos please?
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sat May 29, 2010 10:46 am

i must admit that my elan is the only car that I change tyres with loads of tread.....
only because that after about 5 or so years they start to degrade......yet I'll have only done say 10k miles.......I remember having an old set of dunlop sp on it whe I got it....the tyres had loads of tread but had that funny sheen to them.....not to bad in the dry but in the wet I might as well have been driving slicks on ice.......needless to say that they didnt stay on for long.....:)
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: