Spinners

PostPost by: hat » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:17 pm

One of the nice aspects of this forum is that there is a never ending stream of simple queries followed by a never ending stream of experts prepared to answer them. Thanks for that

I am pleased to subsribe to the simple side and take pleasure in posing yet another simple query.

If anybody is interested I have put my car in for its first mot in 18 years which has given me the first chance to drive it. If anybody is currently restoring a plus 2 and has any doubts about the wisdom of the task then cast them asside. Its a cracking driving experience and well worth the wait. I've had loads of teething problems but all have been very simple to fix as the car beds in.

Here comes the simple query.

I deduce I must be doing something wrong but in the last week that I have been driving the car I have had two spinners come loose. Each time the wheel has come off the lugs and tonight the rear did just that and jammed solid against the lower frame. After the first time I made sure the spinners were all secure but after 50 miles or so it happened again.

The hubs are on the correct way round. When I got the car the front hubs had found their way onto the wrong sides which would have been very interesting.

All tips gratefully received Thanks
"lets look on it as an investment darling. One day it will..................................."
hat
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:37 pm

Lubrication (or is it non required?) between the spinner and wheel seating might be helping the spinners work loose. It is also important that the drive pegs are a good fit so that no relative movement occurs on acceleration or braking.

Lastly, are you being too gentle with the mallet? Leather is too soft IMHO.

Ian Phillips

(Bolt on wheel Elan, so comments above probably rubbish)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:26 pm

I also have in the past had this problem. My understanding is that no grease or lubrication is required. A good copper hammer is a good idea( I bought one from Donnington Park See Red day for about ?15 last year). You have to get the feel of how hard to hit it but it is really just basic stuff.
Finally, check them every 500 miles or sooner if you feel like it.
If you still have a problem after this you really have a problem!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:16 pm

If I recall correctly, a little lubrication on the spinner to wheel contact area is good. Lubrication on the knock off threads is bad. I would recommed antisieze on the knock off to wheel contact area but no lube on the threads. The idea is to accomodate some movement at the wheel contact (maybe a mil or two) but the dry threads would prevent loosening of the spinner. There is a lot more contact area on the thread interface and if dry, friction here should be greater than at the spinner to wheel surface. Idealy, there is no movement anywhere because the hub pins should be snug in the wheel reliefs. Over time there will likely be some sloppiness here and if it gets too bad the pins and/or wheels will have to be replaced. Lubrication on the wheel to spinner contact area should accomodate a little relative movement (which is not good, but may be acceptable) but the dry threads should prevent loosening of the spinner with inherently more friction.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:03 am

spinners and lugs? ...from outside the stream of experts comes this semi coherent question. Do you have lug nuts or a single knock on large chrome nut/knockoff...
my +2 with the chrome outer nut had a right rear wheel that would come loose every once in a while and it turned out the problem was a loose (inner) hub/spindle nut
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:17 pm

"The hubs are on the correct way round"

1) Are you really, sure of that?
2) Are you really, really sure of that?

What rims do you have?

Is the spinner bottoming before applying clamping load to the rim?

No lube, tight fitting pegs and a couple of good thwacks with a hide mallet are normally enough to keep them in place but (excuse this because its critical!!) the hubs have to be on the right way round :-)
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:30 pm

This has happend to my S4 once, I put it down to not hitting them hard enough. I second the comments above. No lubrication on the threads, and a good whack with the hammer.

The racers drill a small hole in one "wing" of the spinner then use lock wire back to a wheel spoke. Belt and braces :D
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sotul86 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:43 am

Hi

It has happened me aswell ....my lesson learned is there must be as little paint as possibble between rims and hubs and rims and spinner.

Now I always use to draw a small mark with a permanent pen over spinner and rim so I can see then standing still if it has moved.

I always use a hammer and a wood piece to whack the spinners.
Johan
sotul86
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: