are the steering rods ball joint adjustable?

PostPost by: phatmendus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:23 am

Hi all,

can anyone tell me whether the joint inside the gaitors at each end of the steering rods are adjustable? i have my MOT coming up and i notice some play in one, but I was hoping I would be able to tighten it up rather that having to take it apart andf get a new one. Can anyone help me out with this.

thanks

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Simon,

bad news I'm afraid, you'll need to buy new ones, there's no method of adjustment.

John

P.S. I'm interested in your Forum name "Phatmendus"
What's behind it?
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm

dam, that is bad news. do i need to buy the whole steering rack assembly, or can i get parts only?

re. forum name... I used the start of a very old email address I had from college days,In hindsight maybe i shouldnt have! (Im pretty sure im not overweight either!) :)

cheers

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Simon,
If you are talking about the ball joints inside the gaiters at the ends of the steering rack itself these are shimmed and can be adjusted. But you will need to take the rack off the car to do it. I think John is talking about the track rod end ball joints which connect to the steering arms. They are not adjustable but they are easily replaced.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Simon, look at the Moss website for the exploded parts drawing which shows the shims, locknuts etc for the inner ball joint. With the rack horizontal in your vice (carefully mounted) You need to hang a weight on the end of the tie-rod: this determines if the ball joint is adequately loaded, i.e.it is stiff enough. Note, I'll dig out a copy of the procedure somewhere from my archives. While your at it, you should check out the rack teeth for wear. You could even check the pinion pre-load.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:05 pm

oldelanman wrote:Hi Simon,
If you are talking about the ball joints inside the gaiters at the ends of the steering rack itself these are shimmed and can be adjusted. But you will need to take the rack off the car to do it. I think John is talking about the track rod end ball joints which connect to the steering arms. They are not adjustable but they are easily replaced.

Regards,

Yup another case of crossed lines I'm afraid.
Should have gone to Specsavers :lol:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:26 pm

thanks for the info. ill have to get under the car and take the rack off and go from there

cheers

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: