Adjustable Rear Springs - How?

PostPost by: elanern » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:10 pm

+1 for Mac's comments. Those "thingies" in the spring are used to restore ride height to sagging springs, at least here in the States. Some folks used them to raise the rear of their cars in the '70s when the jacked-up look was popular. They compensate for sagging springs but do not compensate for additional weight load. Same principle as the spring adjusters found here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/coil-spring-2- ... 05888.jcwx, but, as stated, you insert a 1/2" socket drive extension into the end of it and twist clockwise. The cam design of the adjuster raises the spring.

I would replace the springs with new ones if it was mine, no telling how worn out they are.
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds unanimous, it's a bodge and I've been lucky that it's lasted as long as it has. I was expected to put adjustable platforms and new shocks on, but now it sounds like the springs are either sagging or too short and need to be replaced as well.

It's funny, I've been on vacation in the Cayman Islands since I last responded to this post and have come to realize I'm quite the bodger. I have fiberglassed the hull of the sailboat, stapled down screens, epoxied a frig handle back on... I guess it has just become second nature. I will now seek help for my bodgery and join BA (bodgers anonymous).

Regards, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Dan,

Don't feel so bad, I too have done things as a bodge but most of the time come back an fix it in a more reliable mannor.
Mostly after finding the good information on this site.

I'll add my finished photos now as the work is done and the body is back in place. If you need any state side advice just give a shout.

Regards
Mark
Attachments
Elan Rear Strut 030.jpg and
Elan Rear Strut 029.jpg and
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi Mark, a geat feeling as it comes together are those TTR d/shafts? if so mine are assembled other way round with male section on outboard side i would assume to help keep moisture ect out? :wink: Mac
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:55 am

Mac thanks I will see if I can find out who made them but you are more than likely correct on both counts. Thanks for letting me know.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 am

There is no such thing as a bodge.
It's a good job or a F#@$ Up
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 am

Merlin S2 wrote:Hi Mark, a geat feeling as it comes together are those TTR d/shafts? if so mine are assembled other way round with male section on outboard side i would assume to help keep moisture ect out? :wink: Mac

Well they look like TTR Shafts to me & yes I fitted mine the other way around because it seemed right.
Those are heavy bits of Kit & any reduction in unsprung Weight is a plus, so thin bit outwards.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:32 pm

So I'm back from holiday now and trying to determine what's needed to convert to a proper adj spring platform. One thing to note, I am not as handy as the rest of you, so want to do this removal and replacement of the strut just once.

Here's my list of supplies, please let me know if I've missed anything:
- 1 set adj spring platform (will be epoxied in place)
- 1 set of 2 1/4" springs (was thinking about 100 pound, as I use for fast road and autocross, thoughts?)
- 1 set of lotocones (do I need something special to fit these to the shocks, a top hat insert or something?)
- 1 set bump stops for 2 1/4" springs
- 1 set of 2 1/4" spring abutments (as the photos show, I still have original abutments, which I could replace with the proper size for $106 or I could have a 2 1/4" tube welded to the top of my current abutments to center the narrower spring, thoughts?)
- 1 set of shocks (either TTR fast road $630/pair or SPAX $420/pair, are the TTR really that much better?)
- 1 set of inner bearings (no signs of wear, but sounds like these are best replaced with struts off and I don't want to do this twice)
- 1 set of outer bearings (ditto to above)

Did I miss anything? I'm at about $1,500, if I go with the TTR shocks and everything else listed. The project gets a lot less overwhelming if I don't replace the springs (maybe they will be OK once the lift kits are removed?), shocks (my guess is that they are 25 yr old koni's, the right side does not seem as stiff as the left, but perhaps these can be adjusted?) or bearings (not worn, but trying to avoid removing strut twice).

Appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.

Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi Dan, Bite the bullet & get it all from TTR he has all you will need + advice his shocks are designed for the elan & not just, it fits! leaving you lost with incorrect settings ect. His rear shocks are Koni (top) ajustable & shorter travel he will advise on spring rates, hope some help to you I have no connection to TTR other than i use their kit & it works very well:) Mac
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: