Alignment & rear wheel toe in.

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi All.

Anyone got a super surfire and accurate method of alignment etc? I was thinking of creating a 'box' from string and taking a few measurements. Similar to what Brian Buckland shows in his Book, except using tight string lines, or even a of a couple of lasers.

Any thoughts?

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:14 pm

OMG Lasers!!!
Bits of String'll do it.
It's an Elan not Concorde :)
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:37 pm

I have a couple of small lasers John. I use laser levels when installing machinery. (sometimes!! :roll: )..

It was just a thought. Any tips/ methodology/etc...

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob vanM » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm

just for adjusting the toe a mate and I , both tired of fiddling with strings, developped this tool.
it is a very good quality tool and is very easy to use (much quicker to set up and much more accurate than strings)

I have used on my Elise and happy :mrgreen:
we can make a few sets if anybody is interested ( we are no company or so, just Lotus owners)

http://bobvanm.brinkster.net/corbo.htm
Bob vanM
New-tral

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:58 am

Hi Alex, I used a small laser level for my +2. I spun each rim and measured the runout; set the front wheels parallel but also took a measurement from the laser beam going backwards as it passed the rear hubs to make sure the front wheels were "sraight ahead." I then lasered off the rear rims and could check whether these lines were parallel to the front; on the +2 the rear track is about 1/2" wider than the front, I am not sure about the "babys". I think this should be accurate enough. PS afterwards remember to reset your front to your usual toein; cheers John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Hi All,

Bob...

Thanks very much. That tool certainly looks very good and if I were competing with the Elan it is something I would buy without hesitation. BUT.. I only want to use it once and probably will have the car checked by a commercial company specializing in alignment. I think I will just set up the string lines. I am busy making up some adjustable string 'mounts' which will attach to my ramp and allow fine adjustment of the lines. It is so cold here just now I have twice went out to 'start' and ended up back inside with the kettle on. !! :lol: My Z4 is sitting below the Elan and I don't want to take it out of the garage in case I have difficulty getting it back in. Last time I took it out to lower the Elan down it snowed quite heavily and soaked the Z.. Soft tops and snow eh!! I have loads of time so it can wait.

Hi John,

Thanks also for your input and I agree the laser is a good option that I might just utilise.
The system I have for leveling machinery (V accurate!) on one side would be spot on and easy to set up. The other laser device I have is for checking alignment through wood moulding machinery but only has a mag' base so I need to make 'something' to hold it etc. So all in all I think again I will 'box' the car in with string lines and measure. As I say it is only for basic set up, and depending on how that goes, I will decide if required to have it checked.

Brrrr!! Awaiting milder weather.

Alex B....
Last edited by alexblack13 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 am

Alex,John et al

The Geo tool looks good to me and fitted with your lasers would do a good job,after digging myself out,finish putting power to the pit for the tubular heater am going to "cobble up" something like it with my cheapo laser pointers from Fleabay (Hong Pong)...

John :wink:

P.S. not forgetting routing through the spare room for the Voltage stabilisers...

P.P.S.

how fine are the beams of your lasers??
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Not all that fine John! I dug it out of my car (Toolbox!) and tried it along the length of the car I then used a steel rule to stop the beam and the 'dot' was around 2mm dia. I recon I could work with it but I still recon' the string box will be ok.

Still looking at -2 C in my garage. :| It can wait!

Bbrrr..

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:17 pm

If you are measuring down the length of the car then the toein-toeout is multiplied by maybe 13 times [ length of car divided by dia. of rim ] so 1/8 toein becomes 1- 5/8inches; the laser dot is easy to mark in the middle; give it a go with string and laser to see any difference, cheers, John. PS I did mine on the 4 post hoist so it was easy to work on.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello Guys.

I'm Just going to produce a box round the car. Square it and measure string to rim back and front, so everything off the car's centerline. I am going to set it initially to 2mm toe in each side. = 4 total toe in. Front is already set. Rear 'A' frames now adjustable as per ''adjustable 'A' frames'' post in things in common.

Brian bucklands book has the basic illustration. Set up accurately it should be spot on.

Source of error will be rim runout. Checked! @ < .3 mm each rim. and Visual interpretation.
laser will need to be center of dot as focus is iffy.

Fiddling with the lasers just now. Fiddley!!

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:37 pm

I set my rear toein to 3/32 per side, [ 2.35 mill ] but have not had a chance to drive it [ blxxdy weather ] What are you setting your front to alex?
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Alex

Could you post Brians illustration?

Thanks
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:44 pm

hi Guys, Mot guy set the front after the ebuild and during its 1st mot. I believe toe in was set to 3/16''.Car ran and steered great. Bang on straight.

I will scan brians set up info and e mail it to anyone privately. If you drop me an e I will send it to you. I do not want him going nuts with me for publicising it on Elan.net

Alex
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 pm

I once tried a few different front toe-ins - and couldn't tell any difference while driving. So is it only important for tyre wear?
Gordon
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Schrodinger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Alex
I use a couple of aluminium poles, fishing line and a steel rule - works fine for me but a bit of patience is required... also a few swear words for when you snag the line and have to start all over again!
:roll:
Still think it's the best method for checking the setup properly though.
:)
Jennifer
'68 S4 Elan SE DHC ~ S1 Elise 111S ~ 2-11 GT4
Schrodinger
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: