Plus 2 front brakes on a 2 seater

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Has anyone determined the difference in weight between the Plus2 components and the 2 seat ones? And are the Plus 2 calipers marked with the number 14?

Rob Walker
25-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:34 pm

Elansprint 71

I wrote -

Standard brakes - standard servo - standard master cylinder - Green Stuff pads - no expense - no problems!!

KISS

You wrote -

Presumably your rear brakes are partially siezed then?

A bit harsh but........
I know where you are coming from on this one! My car, an S3 SE dhc is used all the year round and for mega bashes over the Alps/Pyrenees/Appennines and so on, so I do look after the brakes. With Green stuff pads I have never had fade of any sort, the old girl pulls up straight and true -a bit like hitting a wall on a dry road - in the wet take care, but we knew that didn't we! :|

In the 23 years I have owned this one I have rebuilt the calipers twice and they seem OK to me. Even the handbrake works.

Incidentally I use Yokohamas as recommended by Pat Thomas and they certainly look after the grippy bits,

Happy days and don't grow up to quickly. :D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Respect bastOn,

your Car has seen some interesting & exiting mileage with you at the Wheel.
Like the majority of Elan Owners, your Car's standard Braking system seems to more than match the Car's performance.
Your post quoting everything "as from the Factory" & no problems + KISS was IMHO also bit harsh.
I don't appreciate being called Stupid, even though I probably am :roll:
I'm still trying to learn how to post here without ruffling someone's Feathers.
A Face to Face is much simpler.
I & others who are attempting alternative approaches have been trying to eliminate (our) braking deficiencies that we are not happy with.
My modified S4SE no longer has a Servo due to previously described installation problems.
Previous postings on this Forum describing difficulties associated with Servo's makes me reluctant to install one into, what I consider, a trouble free but not perfect (when compared to modern Cars) Braking System.
I think I may try some different Pad variants that have been recommended before fitting the slightly illegal 4 Pot Calipers.
By the way, in what part of Somerset are you? I spent my teenage years with a load of friends in North Somerset.

Good to have you on here with all your experience :D

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm

DJ

I do apologise if KISS upset you. It was certainly not aimed at you but rather a covering term that I suspect Colin Chapman used to keep his designs as pure as possible.

I have done several modifications to my car to improve it for everday use and manic "Horns Out" driving on the continent - but they are simple and reduce weight and complexity where possible. As I said - for normal very enthusiastic driving the stardard brakes are fine if used regularily and maintained scrupulously. (spelling?)

Going down paths not originally intended can lead to frustration and a less capable car if you are unlucky.

I was out in the floods of Somerset/Devon yesterday and bless my new mohair hood. Heavier - yes - (sorry Colin) but I am now dry for the first time in years!

Happy motoring - and do contact me if you would like to see/hear of a few sensible modifications. :D

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Well you've whet my appetite David so spill the Beans; what modifications have you made to your Car?
I had a chuckle at the way you spell cheap; p-u-r-e :wink:
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 pm

DJ

Well you did ask!!

1. Alternator running a twin pulley system so that the water pump has its own belt running more slackly than the alternator one. Amp meter in the ashtray hole.

2. Huge pusher fan from a Renault 25 in a recored 4 layer large radiator ? standard S3 recored. Controlled by an electronic controller in the top hose. Not the cheapo Kenlow copper sausage variety! Manually switched also for panic heat attacks.

3. Reinforced engine mounts from TTR.

4. Amazing aluminium sheet ? looks like bubble wrap ? coating the exhaust manifold side flat surfaces extending along the side of the transmission tunnel and under the passengers floor. Under the carpet on that side on horizontal and vertical surfaces the insulation ? looks like rubber ? that is used in keeping electric cookers hot. Works the other way round now and wife has cooool feet in hothot climes.

5. Same ally bubble wrap around exhaust down pipes to keep slave cylinder cool.

6. Stainless aircraft quality brake hoses and clutch pipe.

7. Aircraft quality ? and PRICE ? fuel pump to Webbers. Over ?120 but peace of mind ????

8. Very snazzy home made and simple throttle linkage that has a wonderfully smooth and progressive action and weighs about a quarter of the tatty things one can buy.

9. Coil relocated to above my feet to keep it cool having had two failures. (racing practice).Spare clipped under bonnet.

10. Running lights behind grill with flasher switch and on switch on aux panel.

11. Push switch on same panel ? one push gives one sweep of the wipers. Wired into the ?park? wiring.

12. Bracket on centre dash held on by those big chrome screws wot hold the dashboard in place, for speaker mount for sat nav ? permanent power supply supplied.

13. Fire extinguisher in bracket under my knees.

14. Solid floor across behind the seats with two doors to the wells beneath for securish stowage of tools etc including scissor jack from Vauxhall Astra ? much smaller and easier to use than standard item.
Also gives flat surface for coats/maps/basset hound whilst on tour.

15. Rear wind guard made from the nylon mesh they use to keep flys out of hospital kitchens ? very flexible ? folds to nothing and velcros onto a two piece ally hoop made from B&Q rod split in the middle for storage under the hood when not in use. Bottom edge held by tenax fastners.

16. Phillips 80% brighter headlamp bulbs ? legal.

17. Flashing/steady bright bike lights clipped under boot lid for fog/emergency clip onto boot edge when needed.

18. Skid plate welded to rear join in the exhaust pipe.

19. Lower gearbox bolt that holds the exhaust clamp wire locked as vibration can loosen them Believe me on this one!

20. Solid rear drive shafts from Pat Thomas ? simply brilliant.

21. 175 tyres by Yokohama ? simply amazingly stick. Bash spring cup with large hammer to fit.

22. Powerful LED torch in pocket at front edge of drivers door ? invaluable to find the even bigger torch in the lockers.

23. All spares and tools listed with location on a laminated sheet stuck under boot lid.

24. Nearside bullet mirror for the incontinent travel.

25. Two rubber window wedges tucked down the inside of the windscreen to keep the windows up should the string fail - it can happen, usually a long way from home when it is raining.

I think that is about that!

Hope it gives you pause for thought, :lol:

David.

PS twin high power white strobes behind grill for clearing dawdling traffic and police car horns. I promise not to grow up too quickly - my pension would not stand the strain......!
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 pm

4. Amazing aluminium sheet ? looks like bubble wrap ? coating the exhaust manifold side flat surfaces extending along the side of the transmission tunnel and under the passengers floor. Under the carpet on that side on horizontal and vertical surfaces the insulation ? looks like rubber ? that is used in keeping electric cookers hot. Works the other way round now and wife has cooool feet in hothot climes.

5. Same ally bubble wrap around exhaust down pipes to keep slave cylinder cool.

Any pictures available. I've been trying to figure what to do about hot feet and the quick death of slave seals.

Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Dan

I will take a picture in a couple of days and post it. I will also try and remember where I bought it........!

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:02 am

David

"24. Nearside bullet mirror for the incontinent :oops: travel."

I take it this is a deliberate error?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:53 am

prezoom wrote:Has anyone determined the difference in weight between the Plus2 components and the 2 seat ones? And are the Plus 2 calipers marked with the number 14?

Rob Walker
25-4889

I only weighed them in my Hands & the +2 Calipers & Disks are much heavier.
I could weigh an Elan Caliper & Disk that I've got in store if someone else can do the same for the equivalent +2 Parts.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:55 am

John

"
24. Nearside bullet mirror for the incontinent travel."

Some may put it as on the continent, but in the traditions of C Chapman I kept it as short as possible. Now look what you have made me do - all these unnecessary words................................ :D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:56 am

David

No,I think you were right first time,when I was driving down through Napoli,not used to driving on the wrong side of the road,I had a few pant-wetting moments.......

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am

The nearside (offside here) Bullet Mirror fell off my Elan in the Garage only a short while ago.
Metal fatigue. The spun Bullet Material is as thin as Fag Paper.
If it had happened whilst on the Road I'd have probably 5h-t myself, so "incontinent" would be about right.
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am

DJ

Bullet mirrors are extremely thin, so I strip mine when new and put in a stainless steel strip where the bolts go through and reassemble. Lasted 20 odd years now. D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:31 pm

bast0n wrote:DJ

Bullet mirrors are extremely thin, so I strip mine when new and put in a stainless steel strip where the bolts go through and reassemble. Lasted 20 odd years now. D

Yes you live & learn.
The biggest mistake I made was fitting both Bullet Mirrors to the Doors before the interior Trim & the Seats were refitted.
When I eventually sat in the Car I realised that I could hardly see out through the things :oops:
I've got some lightweight Plastic Shelled Mirrors on Stalks, painted in the same colour as the Car.
Check out my previous Posts on the subject, there's some Photos there.
I'll fit them when I can pluck up the courage to pull the Doors apart; the Lock & Catch Mechanism "Coat Hanger" rods with their silly little hidden from reach Nylon & Spring Clips is my favourite hate job on an S4.
Plays Hell with my Back & Knees working in that position for so bl--dy long.
I hope that the Stalked ones will be OK but somehow doubt it because the Race Engine Mounts that I've fitted don't do much to dampen Engine Vibration transmission to the Body.
They'll probably vibrate too much to be of much use but at least the local Plod will be kept happy.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: