Steering column to rack & pinion universal joint conversion

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:29 am

paddy wrote:The Elan's rubber mounts are directly inherited from the Triumphs. I assumed it was just as likely that this was the least-effort option in the rush to put the Elan together, rather than anything else.Paddy

That's true but the Europa has exactly the same Triumph rack and steering system as the Triumph/ Elan and a similar chassis, the only real difference being the weight distribution.
If it was just a matter of haste to get the Elan into production I would have thought that later developed cars (eg Sprint/+2) would have had the solid mounts if it were considered necessary
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 pm

I installed the U joint (easy). I also installed the sold rack mounts. The center height was identical as the rubber mounts, so I kept the shims. The fit was not perfect for the holes in the mounts matching up with the holes in the frame. The right side was a direct fit, leaving the rack in exactly the same spot. However, then the left mount the match up required reaming out the holes in the frame to get a nice tight fit with the the thrust carrying ring on the rack. Once that was done it looks great. I have yet to try it on the road, as I am also replacing the stabiliser bar bushes and damper bushes at the same time.
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Leif

Was there any problems with the joint rubbing? I was wondering if there would be clearance problems?

I also bought a joint after your first post but have yet to fit it.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi Jason,
it looks like it clears just fine. I am on axle stands right now, and did not want to manipulate the steering wheel too much in case it upset the balance. However, one of the bolts passes through at what I think is the tightest spot, so so far it looks good. I will post an "experience post" once I am back on the road.... any day now I hope :P
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks Lief

I look forward to any pics you have?

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1