master cylinder disaster

PostPost by: Uboat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:54 am

Hi,

My brake problems turned out to a master cylinder failure, so I need a new dual circuit brake master cylinder (for a late +2, LHD). Where can I find a new one (or a refurbished old one)?

/Ulf
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Uboat wrote:Hi,

My brake problems turned out to a master cylinder failure, so I need a new dual circuit brake master cylinder (for a late +2, LHD). Where can I find a new one (or a refurbished old one)?

/Ulf

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAKE-CLUTCH-MAST ... 286.c0.m14

Any good?
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john122S » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Unless the body is badly damaged, a ruined master cylinder should be rebuildable. White Post Restorations in Virginia ( no affilifation) does this in the US and will re-sleeve the MC with SS or brass. Quick but costly. Similar service must be available in the UK. They rebuilt my leaking boosters and overhauled my dual circuit MC.
Cheers, John
john122S
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Haven't done this work yet, but read a lot of the archive items regarding the brakes, so following is just general background I guess. I take from your description of LHD and dual circuit you are in NA, so US suppliers preferred? Also assuming you have assessed MC condition and require total replacement rather than a repair kit, which may be commonly available from the usual suppliers.

Here is the link to White Post John mentions above as source of rebuild. From the archives, this appears to be the easiest route for a refit, with good reports on service. Could search on White Post to check out.

http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

Checked with Ray at RD Enterprises and several archived posts. Appears a total replacement for the dual circuit MC in absolute stock form is NLA.

Although Bean lists them on page J11 of my catalog

Lotus P/N 050J-0676
with 0.875" bore,
casting number 64676717,
vertical flange,
vertical? reservoir,
RH port location,
rebuild kit 050J-2485,
reservoir kit 036J-9496

Would have to phone to see if they can still supply or recommend a substitute.

The replacements that will work (Ray has one in stock I believe, Bean can probably supply as well) have the MC fittings on the opposite side of the assembly, and may be AN rather than UNF. I believe they use the plunger clevis from your original as well, so don't throw anything out. They will therefore require some plumbing mods to fit. I understand it is a similar issue in the Europa world, and Banks supplies a similar substitute.

The other archive options mention Tilton and Wilwood as possible modifications, although it gets a bit confusing between set-ups with and without boosters and different MC bores, single vs dual systems, and MC fitment for LHD and RHD, vertical vs horizontal flange orientation, flat vs. V shaped reservoir, bore size for Plus 2 vs Elan vs. modified Elan to Plus 2 brakes, proportioning valves, etc.

HTH. Please let us know how you resolve. Just in process of installing new lines on a bare chassis and hoping all the moving bits will work. Might need replacement in a few months if they don't work.
Last edited by stugilmour on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi

Classic Car Automotive, Cheshire, England do excellent work refurbishing Elan brake components. They also sell brake parts. tel 01625 860910 fax 01625 860925. Attached photo of rear calipers just refurbished by them just to show how good a job they do.

Regards

Andy
Attachments
62.jpg and
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks for your help!

Steve, the item on ebay is a single circuit cylinder, I need a dual circuit cylinder

John and Andy, refurbish is not an option, too damaged by internal rust.

Stu, I live in Scandinavia...

/Ulf
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Oh, then the US dudes won't work so well! Anyway, the US parts suppliers tend to be pretty aware of what is available your side of the pond, so still think required stock part may be NLA. Good to know if you find it and it is the same as Federal set-up. Even with internal corrosion, one of the re-builders may be able to salvage with a re-sleeve, etc.? Possibly avoids plumbing changes, so potentially less hassle.

Curious, does your set-up have dual boosters with a "P.D.W." valve mounted LHS with dual boosters? This is the Federal set-up commonly used in NA. PDW valve is referenced in Federal wiring diagram and indicates failure of either front or rear brake circuit using sliding piston, but no illustration in my parts or workshop books. Just reference to bleeding procedure in workshop manual.

Cheers!
Attachments
PDW Valve A sent.JPG
PDW Valve A sent.JPG (13.46 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Stu,

My car is an export model with a double set of brake circuits and servos, installed by local Lotus agent. I belive it is the same setup as in NA. See the photos....
/Ulf
Attachments
masetercyl2.jpg and
mastercyl1.jpg and
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for the photos Ulf. Very helpful to me, as mine is completely disassembled. I can see PDW at LHS of pedal box. I had the plumbing a bit wrong in my head, and thought it as closer to the boosters.

Your casting number on the MC is slightly different than mine. Mine ends in 04 and yours in 01. Also, my MC reservoir is flat on top, where yours has a bevel. No idea which is "correct", and whether this makes internals, replacement, or repair kit different.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: