Front shock shields

PostPost by: richard sprint » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:18 pm

I am fitting the TTR fast road springs and dampers, past posts highlighted the need to fit the shields to protect the piston rod which the TTR does not have.

I contacted TTR about this and they have stated 'no need' can't say I agree with them.

I could try to remove them from the old dampers but not sure they will fit any ideas? does anyone have a couple of spare shields that I could fettle with?

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 am

Richard
Get down to your local suoermarket and purchase some cheap washing up liquid.........emptied and cut to size they make nice light spring covers....

John :wink:

Remember Blue Peter?
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 pm

John

That's a chapmanesque way and will check out the dia of various brands, I'm wondering whether paint will adhere so guess its also a visit to Halfords - will let you know how it works out...

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jkolb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Sorry, but I cannot see any reason short of extensive off road usage that would mandate any kind of cover for the piston rod for the shock or any protection for the spring. Most cars today are using coil over setups (MacPherson struts are coil overs) with no issues. Most coils are either powder coated or plated.

Jerry
64 26R clone
07 Exige S
jkolb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Jerry

I know what you are saying but is it not the abrasive dust and grit that will in time cause distress to the shock rods/seals?

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:44 am

After finding a broken spring,and the rest rusty (it gets used in all weathers) I am "chuffed" that all my springs/rods are now covered....should have done it sooner..

P.S. the "covers" weigh next to nothing,are cheap and biodegrade in about three thousand years....should last me and the car out...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:20 am

Photos...if I can..

Bottom...used front
Top spare rear
Attachments
spring covers.JPG and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 am

....and the rear in situ....

sorry it's on its side...bloody pixels...

Attachments
2009_0826lotus2609090006.JPG and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:34 am

P.S. yes ,if you click on the piccy you can see the ABS pickup and the U/J joint covers etc.etc

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am

John

How difficult was the ABS set up to install?

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 am

Not too bad if you're into that type of thing...Renault 25? from a scrappie,ECU,pump,pickups,plumb the pump inline and re-pipe to each corner,castellate the discs and fabricate mountings for the pickups,a few other bits,oil pressure switch,on/off switch,warning lamp and you have a Lotus that stops and not skids (unless you can cadence brake)..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi All, John..

I used lexan coke bottles.Basicaly the same. Cut off the tops n bottoms, cut to length & slit them length ways also. They then try and wind themself into a tighter diameter. This is quite handy and produces a good overlap. Secure them to your spring, 2.1/4'' dia top plates with stainless clips. They work great so far and you can see thro' them to check damper rods/springs etc. Cost? Almost nil.

As far as the front covers go the answer to original question is yes the lotus covers will fit your TTR units. Lightly grease them inside or they squeek like hell.

Have fun now...

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkolb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Makes me feel very glad to live in an area that is not so corrosive to parts. How do the new Loti stand up? They have exposed coils and shocks?

Jerry
64 26R clone
07 Exige S
jkolb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Cheep success! they don't seem to sell washing up liqued in round containers these days, anyway found a nice strong tube of perfect dimensions for slug pellets, cut off the top to give me a tube of 51/2 ins, drilled a 10.5mm hole in the bottom, two coats of plastic paint followed by two coats of smooth black hammerite - perfect and will fit them tomorrow!

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Result! well done Richard.Sounds like well sorted. I can't see covers doing any harm so I think worth doing.. Esp' up here.

Have had the wee car out yesterday and to day done about 200 mls. Sweet as a nut. Brilliant weather.. amazing!

alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: