SPYDER RIDE HEIGHT

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:45 am

Greetings, I'm looking for a profile picture of an Elan +2 with a Spyder chassis that has the factory clearance at the front wheel arches. Does anyone have one? They all seem to sit high to me. My stock '69 clings to the ground, @ five inches floor to ground. I'm interested in the Spyder conversion but....
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:52 am

Something like this?

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:03 am

Eric,
try a search on the site, there have been various threads on this topic. Niall's car is excellent, they're not all and Andy at Spyder has the view that the high ride is acceptable.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 pm

It's true...Andy said you can lower them a bit and buy slightly higher profile tyres than what he puts on as standard.

And use Colin's car as a reference: elan-wanted-f4/early-plus-bits-and-pieces-t18925.html
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:10 pm

This is the ride height with the body dropped onto the chassis as it comes direct from the factory. The dampers used are from protech. I assume the springs are aswell but will be inquiring into this tomorrow. Does anyone else have this much ride height or would anyone with a particularly low ride height like to offset a few of my more than generous ride height inch allocation?
Attachments
IMGP2121.JPG and
1971 +2S 180/5 Spyder Zetec
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Spyzee,
Bear in mind that your car is unfinished and there are quite a few heavy items to add that will reduce the ride height. That's the problem, how much will the height reduce when you add glass, seats, fuel tank etc etc.

Ideally, I'd like to get the ride height as close as possible while I have a bare chassis as it's much easier to adjust at that stage but of course, it's not laden and there are no wheel arches to guide you.

Has anyone got any good guides for unladen spring/damper settings for an unladen Spyder car?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: