wheel arch holes for improved cooling

PostPost by: hatman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
redskatejbf wrote:but rather than cut slots etc. in the rear edge of the bonnet would you not have the same effect by removing the sponge `joint` on the body under the windscreen

What sponge joint?

The rear of my bonnet locates down on two pins.

On mine there's a strip of draught-sealing foam along the bodywork recess where the rear lip of the bonnet makes contact. I can see the point about the two harder pieces, with a gap in between to allow rear ventilation without being unsightly.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Wot's a solid state coil?
Gordon
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi bcmc33, My 1970 FHC Elan has always had a soft sponge joint that is glued to the engine bay / body ridge between the bonnet (hood) latching strips that the bowden cable is connected to,(the moving latches that release the bonnet). This sponge strip I always thought was to stop the bonnet from vibrating by giving the latches a resistance to movement when closed. The sponge is the same material as the sponge that is on the underside of the bonnet that mates with the top of the radiator to shut off any leakeage of air over the rad. Both of these are supplied by P. Matty A079K400IF for the rad. and BSST026C for this rear seal. I don`t know if its the same on a +2 Elan.

Regards John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:42 am

BCMC33

You have got me fooled here!! What is a "Solid State" coil? I have looked at P Matty and Burton Power et all and can find no mention of one. If it is as good as you say I would like to find one.

Don't grow up too quickly,

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

On my own car I have sorted the temperature issues out with installing a wide triumph radiator and a clive boy thermostat housing, a heater valve and a alu shield in the nose that directs the airflow through the radiator instead of under it and as a result cooling the oil. ( it runs already pretty cool) I installed an oil temp gauge and although it is not too bad I will also install a sump plate to partially/fully enclose the engine in order to increase oil temp.( at least in winter)
on my plus two I run the water temp at about 80 celsius in winter, 85 in summer sitting in traffic or driving along. oil temp is around 70 but I would like to raise that also a bit. Engine tray in order to raise the oil temp has been on my list of things to do but other projects have taken my time.
I do not feel that the under bonnet temperature is an issue for me but I am more concerned about the lift it creates at high speed ( 150km plus) because of the inability of the air to escape. I am sure that the racers on the forum have more to say about that. I would think that a bonnet as fitted to modern sportcars ie the elise where there is an exit in the bonnet for the hat air to escape would reduce lift at the front of the car and improve cooling as well.
So an grille of some sort would improve things but probably not so pretty. Has anyone done this???
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 am

Robin, if you are thinking about improving the cooling airflow through the radiator and out of the engine bay, have you given any consideration to mounting the radiator in the nose (forward of the bonnet opening).

This gives the opportunity to guide the air upwards through the bonnet grill you are suggesting?, rather than just stagnating against the front of the engine.

regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 am

Robin,

I?ve always had a problem with the LH bonnet catch working loose at high speed (70+). But this has not happened for some time ? even on a 90+ run recently. It had not dawned on me that this may be due to the added side holes that were put in last winter.

The idea of a grille in the bonnet appealed to me as I have seen one on an Elan and it looked good. However, someone pointed out that a grille in the centre of the bonnet would result in hot air going over the plenum grille ? not a good idea. So I guess two small chrome grilles in the bonnet would be best. I?m not sure I?m brave enough to go cutting holes in the bonnet, though.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Good suggestion Gerry, will consider that for my future project ( stripped out plus two for hillclimbs...with twincam or alternative ie jap engined powerplant 4age or 3sge ( not for the purists!!!)).
My own car is fisnihed and I do not want to change it. Would be difficult too, there I have an MX5 headlight motor installed to operate the headlights.

Brian, I can understand your hesitation to cut holes in your bonnet. I do not know if the elan suits this. Very few classic cars actually look nice with grilles in the bonnet in my opinion.

cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Yeah Robin. As well as the lift mechanism (needs to be relocated), the hose connections need to come out the bottom of the radiator to avoid clash with bonnet as it opens

Best of luck with the future project.

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 pm

gerrym wrote:Robin, if you are thinking about improving the cooling airflow through the radiator and out of the engine bay, have you given any consideration to mounting the radiator in the nose (forward of the bonnet opening).

A Scirocco radiator seems to be the best (and cheapest) option for relocating it in the nose. This should give you a good idea of what is required.................

elan-f14/assorted-cooling-questions-t16883.html
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:31 am

Freddy (Gordon)
BastOn (David)

"Wot's a solid state coil?"

I think you'll find Bcmc33 may be talking about the later Ford four-post wasted spark coil (fired from FI Management ECU)

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:09 am

Well John, my friend, you're half right.

It's true that I now use wasted spark as part of the FI set-up, but before that I used a solid state coil from H&H as part of their standard electronic ignition system. Highly recommended.

Fifth picture down............. http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/index.htm
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: