Elan Sprint Handbrake - Compression Spring info please

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:02 am

I'm planning to place compression springs onto my rear Calipers as the centralizing strips are not keeping the handbrake pads away from the disc. For those of you that have done this, can anyone give me a good source for a suitable product & info re size required ?

Thanks

Richard
'72 Sprint
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I've been using compression springs for a while to try and keep the handbrake working but during the last rear end overhaul to replace bearings etc I took another look at the mechanism. I put a lot of effort into minimising the disc runout, setting up the centralising strips and setting the pad to disc gap with a few other things ... and it works! The handbrake has not needed adjusting this year.

Previously I did have compression springs pushing the two halves apart (and I've kept them handy just in case!). I bought some new ones which are still in the packet and they say Eliza Tinsley (the brand) 2" long by 7/16" wide (just fits over the rod) by 0.054" which I think is the wire thickness. The 2" bit is too long and I cut them down but I don't have the old ones handy to say by how much. They came from my local agricultural supplies shop so they're probably a Massey Ferguson part :lol:

Stuart
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi There

I have a simple technique for setting up the centralising strips which you could try.

Assemble everything as normal then bend the centralising strips so the pads are well clear of the disc. Next remove the strips fixing screw and place a small washer approx 1.5mm thick (some experimentation will be required here) between the strips and the caliper body. Now carefully squeeze the pads together so they just touch the disc then let go. The pads will now be central but too far from the disc due to spring back of the strips, however, remove the washers and, if you've got the thickness correct, the pads will now be central and running within a few thou of the disc.

Works every time

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: