Tyre choice?

PostPost by: tim22 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:45 am

I'm also in the market for tyres for my +2.

I'm looking for 165/80/13 tyres on steel rims for road use - about 5,000 miles a year in dry and wet conditions. Particularly looking for something that works with the precise handling of this car in mid-price range rather than the best possible grip.

Reading these posts and talking to a few dealers I decided that Dunlop SP10's would be best for me but find they were discontinued six months ago and can't find stock - any pointers to 5 SP10's would be welcome.

Next choice on the basis of a Best Buy Which report would have been the Bridgestone B330 Evo but have noted the poor reviews on this thread - would the handling problems be noticeable if I was only using the car for road rather than track?

Any other suggestions / reviews would be welcome - including Uniroyal Rallye 680, Goodyear Duragrip and Toyo 350?
tim22
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:39 pm

I have the Mitchelin XAS's they seem good but I don't have anything to compare them with.

BUT - DO NOT BUY 5
It's the voice of experience - it doesn't fit in the spare wheel compartment!
The tall sidewalls make it too big.
I now have a spare XAS .....
And I just bough a cheap tyre as a spare.
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:13 pm

When people say wider tires won't fit, where is the issue? I have 185/60/13's in the boot. I cut a slice into the battery shelf and raised it up so the bottom was 7" above the floor and re-fiberglassed. Now my 185 spare fits. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:33 pm

I have Yokohama A032r, they are great tyres, but too grippy to be honest. I'd go for something a bit less extreme next time, probably a Yoko A021r.

I've found that the A032r tend to tramline on road, and are not so good in the wet. Ultimate grip is fantastic, but if you do get to the limit (on track obv) they don't give much notice of letting go, due to stiff sidewalls. Hence the change to the A021r, which I've had on Caterhams in the past, and they were a great all rounder, I just need to wear out the old tyres now :twisted:
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: