Black minilites - any pics out there?

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Richard, They look really nice on the car. I'm planning to go the same route, but was thinking of 185/60/14's as I currently have 185/60/13's on the car. Any thoughts as to whether I will encounter any trouble fitting, knowing that no 2 lotus' are the same? Also, the car looks a bit high, did you need to raise it to fit the wheels and tires? Thanks. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:10 pm

Here's a couple pics of my 1971 S4. Started off with gold spokes, I painted them hammer silver. Then went with dark hammer gray, which really changes the look of the car. I prefer the current look, but a lighter shade of hammer gray was a close second for me.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
Attachments
IMG_7701pub.jpg and
FastflwrSilverRims.jpg and
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm

The car looks great - but as has already been said, it looks a little high. Lower it 5mm at a time until the front wheels at full lock bump touch the arches - then back-off a little.

I?m surprised you could not find Vredesteins ? I had no problems.

I'm still playing with tyre pressures - what are you using, and does it appear stable? I?ve been advised to use 23 rear and 18 front ? I should try this out tomorrow, weather permitting.

I am still contending with some twitchiness at speed with a distinct feeling of oversteer. Does anyone have any thoughts on toe-in for these conditions? I am currently at 5mm toe-in.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm

Looks like there's some valuable Tyre pressure information seeping through here.
How about sharing your experiences on the recent "Handling" thread guys.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:22 pm

collins_dan wrote:Richard, They look really nice on the car. I'm planning to go the same route, but was thinking of 185/60/14's as I currently have 185/60/13's on the car. Any thoughts as to whether I will encounter any trouble fitting, knowing that no 2 lotus' are the same? Also, the car looks a bit high, did you need to raise it to fit the wheels and tires? Thanks. Dan

Dan and Brian

Thanks for your comments. The ride height actually looks better in the flesh! I initially had the front so low I couldn't get the trolley jack under the front chassis [while I still had the original wheels on]. I've perhaps gone a little far the other way. I have the Spyder RSC fitted and the rear is at the lowest ride setting. I would prefer it a little lower at the rear but thats the height Spyder seem to like!

Dan, not sure if you could fit the wider tyres. I think Brian tried the 185 width and they wouldn't fit. I decided to play safe as I didnt want to be landed with 4 tyres that were too big! My local garage kindly fitted an old worn 175 65 14 to one of the new Miniltes and I tried this on all four corners to check clearance so perhaps you could do the same with an 0ld 185 before buying. The only issue with fit I have is that the front drivers tyre just touches the anti roll bar on full lock. I've got the Spyder uprated anti roll bar which is thicker than the original so possibly this is the reason. This is only noticed when parking in a tight space - I may try adjusting the rack position or put a stop in the rack to remedy this.

Brian - my local tyre supplier contacted Vredestein and apparently they are out of stock of the 175 65 14s and couldnt give a date when the next batch would be manufactured. I've set my Yokohamas at 27 psi all round [as suggested in another recent thread]. I did a round trip of about 50 miles to Oulton Park and back today and the car felt very stable - although I didn't go much over 60mph as this was a maiden trip! This included a very wet trip back. Yesterday I did about 10 miles and initially the car did feel a bit jittery but this was cured by turning all the shockers to the softest settings - the ride was much more comfortable after doing this. Interestingly I had asked the garage to set all the tyres to 25 psi yesterday but when I checked them this morning they were all at 32 psi yesterday and still felt pretty comfortable. I reduced them all to 27psi this morning. Perhaps you need a bit more air in yours?

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Richard,

Spookey -- I had my tyres at 27 all round to start with and found it far too sensitive at speeds between 50-60 mph.
I didn?t take my car out yesterday as planned as it was pimply sissing down with rain, so I didn?t try the 23/18 settings. Today it has only been pissisting down but I will let you know when I eventually try it out.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:50 am

I am running Dunlop D98J 175 / 60 / 13 on Panasports with 25psi.

I use the car as a daily driver and have slowly reduce the pressure from 30psi to 25 which I find about the best for ride/handling.

cheers
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 am

Gordon,

With smaller profile tyres the rolling radius is 20-25mm below standard - I wonder what affect that has? Apart from the fact that at an indicated 70 mph you will be doing 77 mph!

What toe-in do you have?

I would appreciate some informed advice from anyone on toe-in/toe-out with regard to oversteer/understeer. Perhaps I should start a thread on this subject.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:04 pm

I have played with Tyre pressures and have found 23 Front and 29 Rear to be the best which incidentally are the high pressure settings within the workshop manual.
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Brian

correct, the speedo is slightly out of whack, made more evident by a speeding ticket in the first week back on the road.

I will try dropping front pressures this weekend and see if increases handling, bit of bump steer at the moment (maybe I should just take to someone to set up properly!)

toe in / out - sorry no idea but it points straight! :D
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 am

I just got my Minilites in anthracite....I ordered them 3 months ago. Thought it useful to know in case anyone out there was hoping to order some in time for Spring.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:48 am

some of these just sold on ebay in the UK, 5.5" x 13" knock ons and about 250 pounds I think. Anyone on here the buyer?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Why oh why do you want Minilites? Makes the car look like an elegant lady wearing scruffy trainers.............

Original is best or Mr Chapman would have fitted something else!

jsf_Spot_wheels.jpg and

Minilites? All fur and no knickers!

Don't grow up too quickly......................

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:28 pm

What is the weight difference, more importantly?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

bcmc33 wrote:With smaller profile tyres the rolling radius is 20-25mm below standard - I wonder what affect that has? Apart from the fact that at an indicated 70 mph you will be doing 77 mph!

With a smaller radius tyre you will be going slower than indicated, not faster. The speedo is registering wheel revolutions per time. Smaller radius means less distance travelled per rev, hence a slower road speed. :wink:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: