Black minilites - any pics out there?

PostPost by: patrics » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi, photos of Minilites in anthracite - I wish they were on the car as well!

Regards
Steve
Attachments
Anthracite 02.jpg and
Anthracite 01.jpg and
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm

FWIW my Elan is Lagoon Blue with silver Mimilites.

I don't suppose you have your car completely blue like mine, black would be too dark for me. Just my two pence worth.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm

dougweall wrote:
I don't suppose you have your car completely blue like mine, black would be too dark for me. Just my two pence worth.

No - mine is lagoon blue over white - I agree that all black may be too dark but the polished rim should give a contrast similar to the original look.

Decisions, decisions!

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi All, Richard,
I think you are on the right track with the choice wheels, colour etc. I was about to start doing the homework to get prices/size/tyre choice etc. Would you mind letting me (us!) in on info' when you have it to hand? I would be happy to 'team up' with you to buy 2 sets at the same time. We might get a better price on both wheels and tyres.

Fellow club member (CL) has a set of (Pattern) original style wheels for sale up here. If you are interested PM me. I think the Minilites best choice though... Got to admit! They look great in the various pics (thanks guys).

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 pm

I wouldn't mind a set of polished rims in anthracite either, so if you get a price, see how much for 3 sets!
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Alex and Richgilb [another Richard?]

Just got this email back from Russ at Minilite regarding prices:

Please see below prices which include UK delivery for black with polished
rim knock-on Minilite wheels.

MA1350P 5.0x13 ?103.00 each + vat
MA1355P 5.5x13 ?107.50 each + vat
MA1360P 6.0x13 ?113.00 each + vat
MA1455P 5.5x14 ?124.00 each + vat
MA1460P 6.0x14 ?130.00 each + vat

There was a recent thread on tyres elan-f14/tyres-for-elan-t17848.html but no definitive answers - apart from the Michelin XAS tyres which are about ?150 each and I don't think I will go for just yet - perhaps in the future if I am using the Sprint regularly. From the recent thread I gather Uniroyal R680 are a cheap option and Yokohama A021R mid price.

Am still not sure about size of wheel. Perhaps the 5.0 x 13 are the safe option but other posts suggest the 6.0 x 14 look the business. What size are you guys thinking of? Am very happy to try for a volume discount from Minilite!!

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:24 pm

I think I would probably stick to the 5.0 x 13 size. Not sure though. I have the smaller dia rear springs etc. Could I fit wider and larger dia ok?? If so what is best for tyre choice etc. Need advice here.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54 pm

alexblack13 wrote:I think I would probably stick to the 5.0 x 13 size. Not sure though. I have the smaller dia rear springs etc. Could I fit wider and larger dia ok?? If so what is best for tyre choice etc. Need advice here.

Alex B.... 8)

Hi Alex,

I think there is a greater choice of tyres in 14", at least there was when I opted for the Spyder (2 Gates) 6" x 14" Minilite lookalikes.
By fitting Minilites you will be drifting away from "originality" so why not go for the 14"ers. You will at least be assured of good clearance to the lower outer wishbones.
You will however need some sort of assurance that there will be sufficient tyre clearance to the wheel arch.
I had to sell off a complete set of 185 x 14 Yokohamas do some grinding on the wheelarch & fit 175's in order to obtain sufficient clearance.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Chaps,

This has caught my attention as I was planning to purchase a set of antracite Minilites (14 x 5.5) for my Plus 2.

I am seriously interested in a bulk buy discount if Minilite can be persuaded to offer a discount.

Jono
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi all,

Worth a go IMHO....

I don't want to do any mod's to my car. Can I use 14 inchers without mods? (John?). I will be having my originals restored and powdercoated then fitted with period tyres. I would like to then fit these for high days and holidays + shows etc...

Mods to the cars bodywork etc NOT an option.

Cheers guys.

AlexB.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:34 pm

To put new 13" Minilite's on Elan's ( I did not say baby!)without mods is impossible : they're thicker than old ones ... Close after the rear lower outer wishbone will be , if lowered , the front wheel arch , specially on hard braking , when going down , on a turn spin ... This for enthousiasts of the Stelvio pass , for exemple .
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi All, Christian,
I am sorry to hear I cant fit without mods..Bu**er!! I was hoping they would fit ok. I have fitted 2/1/4'' springs with adjustable ride height front and rear. Do the minilites foul the rear a frames? & what happens with the front?

Sob.... :?

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:17 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Hi all,

Worth a go IMHO....

I don't want to do any mod's to my car. Can I use 14 inchers without mods? (John?). I will be having my originals restored and powdercoated then fitted with period tyres. I would like to then fit these for high days and holidays + shows etc...

Mods to the cars bodywork etc NOT an option.

Cheers guys.

AlexB.... 8)

Well you've done the important bit; smaller springs!
If you go for the wider wheel make sure it goes wider inwards rather than outwards. Minilite should be in a position to advise you regarding offset & tyre size.
However bear in mind that their test fit must be limited to only a few cars.
With 6" x 14" wheels & 175/60 tyres a bit of fettling on the inside of the wheelarch was necessary on my S4.
On the other hand I've seen another S4 with the same wheels but sporting 185/60 tyres, apparently comfortably.
I would have liked to have spoken with the owner but hey ho.
It seems that there is no guarantee regarding tyre to body clearance.
I bought 185/60 tyres on the recommendation of Spyder (wheel supplier), & I am sure they felt secure in their advise.
Once again we have to ask the question how many Elans were available to them for trials?
It also seems that on some Elans, that the chassis can be offset to the body which would result in varying clearance conditions.
I wish I could be more precise but feel safe in advising you that 6" x 14" will fit your car, as is, without extended wheelarches & correct ride height.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Alex ,
Better ask Doug :wink: , as he has 13" Minilite's on its blue S4 ...
On "OEW" -an S3 and thin round wheel arches on centered chassis-, the thickness of the rim made me use the file on the rear bolt and A-frame , same as many racers , and so far no problems . For the front , the tyre can rubb the inner arch ,then brake it. Some of us could say a word on that , I allready read that story on the forum ...
BTW , I will be interested to see 14" Minilite's on an S3 ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Errm Alex,

hope we're talking S4 Elans here?
I am anyway, please disregard all I've said, apart from wishbone clearance, if you have anything else.
That's it for today,
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: