Black minilites - any pics out there?

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 am

Am about to replace my original rusty steel wheels - I suspect the cost of refurbishing them will be similar to buying some shiny new wheels.

I have fitted the Spyder RSC so could go for their larger Minilites. I quite like the idea of keeping the wheels black - my Sprint is Lagoon Blue and the original black wheels look good with this colour [or they did before they were rusty!]. I don't think Minilite themselves do a suitable black wheel. I think black Panasports are available in the States but they do not seem to be for sale in the UK.

Has anyone gone down the black Minilite route and if so any pics?

Thanks

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:22 pm

RichardS wrote:Am about to replace my original rusty steel wheels - I suspect the cost of refurbishing them will be similar to buying some shiny new wheels.

I have fitted the Spyder RSC so could go for their larger Minilites. I quite like the idea of keeping the wheels black - my Sprint is Lagoon Blue and the original black wheels look good with this colour [or they did before they were rusty!]. I don't think Minilite themselves do a suitable black wheel. I think black Panasports are available in the States but they do not seem to be for sale in the UK.

Has anyone gone down the black Minilite route and if so any pics?

Thanks

Richard

Black Minilite's ,not suitable enough !?!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Guys,
I like those Christian.Where to buy and roughly how much?

Richard why are you not having your original wheels refurbished/repaired then blasted and powdercoated in a nice satin black? You would then have the option of originals for that nice show touch, or general day to day running using those nice minilites.That's what I'm fancying doing.... :roll:

Don't just ditch your original wheels.
Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Buy Minilite's at Minilite UK only.
They're still able to produce KO wheels , 5" 5.5" & 6" X13 . 2 offsets available .
On special order , choose color and get the rim machined .
http://www.minilitewheels.com/applicati ... make=LOTUS
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 am

Richard,

Talk to Russ at Mnilite.

The colour is anthracite (not black) and they look particularly good on the +2.

I don't think they look good on the Elan.

Gold looks particularly good on the Elan.

Personal opinions, of course.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:55 am

Christian and Brian - thanks for the info on the minilites. The anthracite with polished rim was just the sort of "look" I was thinking about. Could do with one of those software programmes that they have on some of the new car websites where you can swap colours and wheels on a virtual image to see how things look! Personally I think this colour will mimic the original look rather well.

Alex - fret not, the original wheels will not be heading for the skip! I will tuck them away somewhere and perhaps refurb in the future. I have the original chrome trims in my attic.

Then there is the question of size of Minilite and tyre choice - there have been a few recent informative threads.

You will see from the time of this post that I have woken early so will be slipping out soon for an early start on the Elan (I see Brian was up after midnight thinking about Elans!).

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 am

Richard,

I went for 14x5.5 with the maxmum offset of 115mm. I went for the 14" wheels to eliminate the need to chop bits off the rear wishbone - and a friend has 14" on his Sprint and they look much better than the usual 13" wheels.
Russ at Minilite offered me a set of 14x6 anthracite wheels at a good price but the exrta 1/2" could not be accomodated even with the smaller rear springs.

When I said that gold wheels look good - It's a gold steel wheeled red/white Sprint at the local CL meet I was thinking about. The only gold Minilites I've seen have been on +2s.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Here is a magnesium minilite, done in black to simulate Dow9 chromate , have also included a panasport treated with same finish ( done by performance coatings)
Attachments
blk-mlite.jpg and
blk-psport.jpg and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:33 pm

cabc26b wrote:Here is a magnesium minilite, done in black to simulate Dow9 chromate , have also included a panasport treated with same finish ( done by performance coatings)

I do like the Panasports - but I as i mentioned I do not think there is a supplier in the UK [unless anyone knows otherwise].

Thanks for your comments Brian - I believe the 6" wheels will fit with the Spyder RSC but will check with the guys at Spyder first.

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Richard,

I have just brought some Minilites in anthracite with polished rim, I'll take a pic if necessary so you can compare to Christian's in black

Cheers
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Hate to go off topic here but Brian, what size tires are you running? Have any good side or 3/4 angle shots of you or your friends car?
Thanks,

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:03 pm

patrics wrote:Hi Richard,

I have just brought some Minilites in anthracite with polished rim, I'll take a pic if necessary so you can compare to Christian's in black

Cheers
Steve

Steve - would be interested in a further pic - especially if on the car.

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:31 am

RichardS wrote:
patrics wrote:Hi Richard,

Cheers
Steve

Steve - would be interested in a further pic - especially if on the car.

Richard

For "on the car" pictures , please visit ;
http://www.club-lotus.fr/index.php?id=1013
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:22 am

Black 5 x 13 Minilites with Michelin XAS 155 on a Lagoon Blue Sprint. :) I decided to go without a polished rim. The look of the wheel embellisher belongs to the steel wheels, not the Minilites. At least in my opinion... :wink:
Sorry for the bad quality pic. :roll:
Attachments
IMG_0163.JPG and
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Tnanks for the further pics - I do like the look of Cristian's wheels - very helpful.

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: