S130 handbrake lever problem

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 pm

Hi there,
I tensioned the handbrake cable (only a turn which I've since slackened off) for the MOT test and the rubber sleeve leading to the handbrake handle twisted a bit. The MOT guy was a little savage and now the handbrake has to be dragged on and pushed back in. Something is jamming it. The spring mechanism which locks into the grooves to keep it on is unmolested and works but sadly redundant as when the brake is released it won't retract but has to be forced back in.

Has anyone had this problem and can you suggest a cause?

Thanks,
Simon
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:39 pm

Simon
Looks like you might of knackered the outer casing of the cable,the only real cure,unless you can reverse what you have done,is a new cable
Good Luck
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks John,
You're right. The problem is certainly with the length of cable between the handbrake and the tensioner on the chassis but what could make the cable jam in it's casing? Could you explain? The cable hasn't broken.

Thanks for your help,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Si,

There are many things that can jam a cable in its housing. In setup's more than a few years old the housing anti friction lining will probably be badly worn or even worn away, particularly on the inside of tight curves. This can make the cable feel very stiff. If a cable has jammed it is probably because of the lining fouling the cable.
No amount of oil or grease will help. The only cure is to replace with a new cable. All the usual suspects stock them.
Beware though, they are a bit tricky to fit because they pass through the chassis. I had to reshape the nipple at the handbrake lever end of mine because it was too big to fit into the slot in the lever. A bit of serious filing did the trick.

Regards,

Hamish
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:19 pm

Thanks for explaining that Hamish,
I've got the handbrake down on the floor and I'll disconnect the cable tomorrow, is it the bolt at the end on top which secures the cable to the lever?
Wish I'd left it alone now. I tried to adjust it for the MOT and the casing was locked on to the adjuster on the chassis and turning it twisted the casing. Is this usual?

Thanks again,

Simon
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: