Brake fluid - gloop

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:15 am

Decided to do a routine annual change of brake fluid in both the brakes and clutch. I renewed all the seals in both systems a year ago.
The fluid in the brakes looked OK (reasonably clear) but the stuff in the clutch master cylinder was pretty murcky. At the bottom there was a dark grey sludge. I cleaned it all out and all looks OK again. Any ideas where this sludge came from. It seems a bit odd for this to form in just less than a year.
I am using synthetic dot4 fluid. Should I change this?

On another note I posted a question previously about why the brake master cylinder emptied itself mysteriously when the car was jacked up on axle stands at the rear. There was no sign of any fluid leak.
For those of you who suggested the fluid went into the servo - full marks!
I took the car for its first run last night after a complete engine rebuild. For the first 5 mins the car produced enough white smoke to become a member of the Red Arrows display team. :D It did it again a couple of times after braking. Seems to have cleared now.
Humour aside, will the servo be OK after having this much fluid inside? :?
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:37 am

I would not use synthetic b/fluid myself as I had some problems with on my Seven, it used to damage the hydralic brake light switch, may be it could have caused the sludge if there were still some traces of the non synthetic fulid still in the system? This is just my personal opinion as I know some people use it with no problems.
The brake fluid inside the servo should cause no damage BUT the why is it getting into that part of the servo? it can only be passing the seals, if you have not rebuilt the servo then I think you should consider a servo overhaul.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:15 am

Hamish,
I had the same problem of brake fluid being sucked into the engine on mine. Braking was accompanied by a white smoke trail. I got an exchange unit from PNM engineering.
More money I am afraid!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:28 pm

Hamish,

I had the similar/same probelm with my Esprit. Synthetic was fine for one and deadly for the other (can't remember which). So I had one with LMA and the other with Synthetic.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: