Brake Master Cylinder - Main Seal only

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:49 pm

For the second time now, I have torn off a tiny bit of the lip of the main seal while pushing it into the bore. Prior to inserting it, I smoothed the area with emery clothe and lubbed with brake fluid. After a great deal of effort, it finally went in, only to discover the thinnest bit of the seal lying outside the bore. 2 questions: 1) Where can I get just a .7" main seal, which seems to be a common size to other Triumphs at least? 2) What can I do differently on inserting the main seal? I was reluctant to use any kind of silicone grease that won't deteriorate rubber for fear of contaminating the brake fluid. Thanks. Dan S4 SE Federal
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Sorry I can't help you with your search but I thought that replacement seals were supplied with a tiny sachet of seal lubricant grease to facilitate assembly & reduce the possibility of damage; the apparent lack of this seems to have buggered up your efforts.

Cheers
John

It's crap weather here so I've got a dose of "cabin fever" sorry.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Dan,

The "sachet of lubricant grease" doesn't seem to be supplied any more since the seals are made by someone other than Girling. I used a synthetic caliper lubricant made by Permatex to solve a problem with over-retracting caliper pistons (see the recent "What I learned about brakes" thread in this forum). I made very sure that the stuff is actually meant for use on seals in contact with the brake fluid, then smeared it on the pistons and cylinders/seals. It made assembly much easier and eliminated my problem. I see no reason why you shouldn't use that (or another brand of synthetic caliper grease) in the M/C as well.

(You can still get "Red rubber grease" from RD Enterprises, but only in a tub that will last you several lifetimes. My rationale went like this: I am using non-original stainless steel pistons, seals made who-knows-where, and brake fluid other than Castrol Girling. Why insist on a Girling rubber grease? The Permatex stuff is a lovely shade of blue-green, by the way.)
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Got my red rubber grease from Frost ?8 a tub
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... ease+(500g)&catID=14&subCatID=&FrostCat=Brakes&FrostSubcat=
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for the advice all. I called Ken Gray at Dave Bean, and they still supply a sachet of red rubber grease with their rebuild kits. Ken actually just installed one last night, and he tried a couple of different versions, and is sending the version over that he felt was softest and easiest to install. One of the things that I did notice with Ray's was that they were very stiff. So, we will see if round 3 goes any better using a different main seal and some grease.

Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: