3 eared wrench

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:06 pm

I got a very nice Britool torque wrench off ebay. However that Halfords one looks like a good deal.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 am

Hi Guys, I guess it is time for me to chime in.. Steveww, I like the tool that you found. It is not cheap to make. The shinny hex shaft where it's bolted appears to be metal. The matt black body, is it a composite? It has a recessed center which means that the 26R spinner with the open center should work as mine would not. It looks allot like Ian and Richard's spinitoff tool. The four bolts will have to take the torque to survive. If there is a notch or a ridge that stops the metal bolted hex shaft from turning then the bolts are just holding the pieces together and the 200 ft/lbs of torque will not bend the 4 bolts.
I had a design very much like theirs, but the cost to make one in the US was way to costly. That is how I ended up with a one piece welded tool. Much cheaper to make.
Now the leather thing. If the tool is not on flat and straight before you apply torque you could pinch the leather. I used " English Saddle hides" tanned the old fashion way. I have replacement leathers for anyone that has damaged their leather to where the steel is or could touch the chrome spinner. As Brian said, you can trace out the shape on leather and cut it out. Most any leather hide shop would be happy to sell a small patch.
I purchased a big box of quality 12 point, 1" sockets with a 1/2 inch drive if anyone is still having problems finding them over there.
If any one needs leathers or sockets, contact me at [email protected]
Torque wrenches-----MAKE SURE THE TORQUE WRENCH IS REVERSIBLE AND RATCHETED---ratcheted just makes it easier--- a lot of torque wrenches only torque in one direction. And make sure you dial up the torque to remove the spinner as it takes a little more to break the spinner loose or you might damage the torque wrench.
I am still amazed that it has taken 50 years to come up with a tool that you don't have to beat spinners on with a hammer. Now there are at least three that use different talents.
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am

Must say I'm a satisfied Sarto Tool user; customer service as well can't be faulted.

Enjoy
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Colindenyer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:50 am

Just resending a post I did yesterday in case I did it wrong - although it could be as a new member it has to be passed by the management!!

I run the machine shop that makes the new spinner tool - thanks for all the great feedback. It was designed by Gerard the guy who was selling them at Donington - as an Elan owner with a new set of Ali wheels he was keen to have something better than a copper hide to do them up with. The hex is steel & the main body is 6082-T6 Aluminium which is then Hard anodised

The only other comment at this point is that the 4 x 8mm Bolts are more than adequate to take the torque loading - I used Stainless Steel (Which are not as strong as High tensile) but thought from a corrosion point of view it would be better.

Thanks

Colin Denyer
Colindenyer
New-tral

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Hello Colin, You do real nice work and to be able to sell your tool for what you are, I am amazed!! We need to talk as I have other tools that can be done that will not cost anywhere near the milling that you do. The market for them is much, much larger than our Lotus Elans.
Here is the other tool that is similar to Ian and Richard's tool and is bolted in three places, http://www.oldtimertools.com/htdocs/werkzeuge.html
They also have the tool milled out of one single Aluminium billet. It cost me over $300 USD, much more to make one than what they are selling for, Look at the Jaguar-Daimier tool, it is a one piece tool and it looks like they do not have any steel at the connecting point for the breaker bar or a torque wrench, only the softer aluminium, but really can't tell.

Later, Sarto
[email protected]
707-481-6700
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Hello again Colin, I wanted to mention that I assumed you would pass all the earlier posted info on to Gerard. Didn't realize until later reading the post that I left off Gerard's name. I would like to talk to both of you.
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Colindenyer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Just to let you know that I have made the second batch of the Aluminium Spinner tools. If anyone is interested I can be contacted at [email protected].

Thanks

Colin Denyer
Colindenyer
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: