3 eared wrench

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 am

There was a nice chap a Donington selling very well made wrench adaptors for 3 eared spinners. They work with early and late standard spinners and 26R race spinners. Importantly for me they still work with Minilite wheels.

I can highly recommend these (no connection etc....)
Attachments
p1010520.jpg and
p1010519.jpg and
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 am

I second that. I bought half the things on his stand, including his spinner removal tool. Not cheap, but as in everything, you gets what you pay for. And yes, what a decent guy, from Holland, but living in England for 30 years. Designed the tool himself, and makes it through his engineering company, south of the river, in London. If anybody is interested in his details, i shall post them.

We spoke about the various alternatives from the US, and the spin it off tool, and having hummed and harred for years over buying something to whip the spinners off, i deceided that this was the one to go for.

As always, no connection, or axe to grind.

And lastly, may i say, what a great time i had. Met a lot of interesting and friendly people, though sadly, did not get round to meeting up with everyone i wanted from the forum.

All the best,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 pm

The wrench interests me could you post or pm some details please?

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14 pm

That's definately a smart looking piece of kit.
Can you post the full details & price please.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Having had numerous requests for more details; here goes:

http://www.dunsfoldmachining.com
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi

I also spoke to this guy, it is an impressive bit of kit, he had me right up until the price. :(

?120

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:34 pm

There was a thread on this some time ago.

I saw this device at the time the guy first put them on sale. A number of us on this forum did an analysis and went for the Sato version.

I was amused to see there was a Sato wrench on the next stand for ?100. I'm sure he would have taken ?80 - a bargain in comparison.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 pm

No Brian, I do not agree. I too saw the Sarto tool on Mike Duffs table. It was the first time i had seen one, and it was clear to me, that, although the Sarto tool had seen very little use, the leather had been seriously compressed where it folds over the edges and doubt whether it will stay the course. The tool that i bought, as did 9 others, WILL LAST A LIFETIME, AND THEN BE PASSED ON! No comparison.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Oh, and to the 9 others, I would recomend buying a high impact socket with the same no. of flats as the tool has, not the more serated one that the Dutchman had on his table. No chance of it wearing the corners. I bought one in Halfords today, ?8.
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:33 am

Looks nice but how long will those four screws last at 200 lb/ft? A lifetime? I wonder.
?120 buys lots of copper hammers or 1.5 Sarto's. ;-)

Roy
'65 S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:33 am

512BB wrote:Oh, and to the 9 others, I would recomend buying a high impact socket with the same no. of flats as the tool has, not the more serated one that the Dutchman had on his table. No chance of it wearing the corners. I bought one in Halfords today, ?8.

I think that the socket you are referiing to is called by many names "Double Hex'"; 12 Point etc.
They are designed to work on the flanks of the nut, not the corners.
Check it out :|

What's a good source for a suitable LH / RH torque wrench that won't cost the World?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 am

John,
I looked here before I bought a bargain Britool wrench from ebay.
http://www.teng.co.uk/product-details.asp?prod_id=1484

Roy
'65 S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 am

What's a good source for a suitable LH / RH torque wrench that won't cost the World?

John,

I believe this is the cheapest you will find, mentioned a while ago in another post:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_178621_langId_-1_categoryId_165469#dtab
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for the addresses guys.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:53 pm

Everyone to his own, Leslie. There?s no problem agreeing to differ on this forum.

For the record:
I had no real problem with the wrench design as such, but when I bought my Sato version it was at a third of the price. Today it?s more like half.

I have to admit to having a problem with the ?Sato? ? my 1? A/F socket had gone missing, and they are not that easy to get in the metric UK these days. However, my brother?s tool chest had 3 sockets, so the problem was solved.

You?re correct in intimating that the leather in the ?Sato? is the weakest link with an obvious limited life. I guess I?ve had the wheels off and on my car about 20 times in the past two years and the state of the leather suggests at that rate about a ten to fifteen years life expectancy with the 225 lbf. ft. torque applications. So, it will see me out.
To replace the leather would be a relatively simple job for anyone with average inteligence and hand dexterity.

So in conclusion, buying the ?Sato? was, as my American friends would say, a no-brainer.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: