Old tyres

PostPost by: msd1107 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:48 am

http://www.performanceplustire.com/prod ... prodAnchor

is another source for XAS in the US.

Go back and read Gary Anderson's post on old tires. Then think twice. If not convinced, think again.

Tires start as sticky as they are going to be when new. They degrade and harden by an infinitesimal amount every day. The user cannot tell the day-to-day degradation. But some time in the future, if they are faced with the requirement for maximum adhesion (whether braking to avoid an accident, cornering, or what ever), that original level of performance is not going to be there, and the results might be quite unpleasant.

Each person can perform their individual probability and risk assessment, and determine the amount of risk to take.

The point is, once the tire gets past a certain age, even the tire companies recommend replacement. It is not from a need to sell more tires, but for a need to minimize their legal liability. Basically, they are saying OK, the tires are round and go down the road, but don't blame us for your accident.

Personally, I would drink one less Starbucks a day (pick your favorite indulgence here) and finance a new set of tires every few years.

And I can somewhat attest to this. Some years ago, I got a Jaguar MK II sedan with what turned out to be quite old tires. Fortunately, one of the tires developed a slow leak, I got the last 4 tires in inventory (Michelin makes one production run a year for some tires). While the tires looked somewhat OK on the car, once dismounted they looked really bad. I was lucky. I hadn't pushed the car or else it might have done like the Elite in Gary's example or worse.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gopherit » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Yoko A021R 185 x 70 x R13 on standard steel rims ?40 a corner and brilliant.

See my other post on +2 tyres made tonight.
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 pm

What about Toyo Proxes RA-1s? I've heard very good things about them. Dan
PS. I'll be checking my sidewall when I get home and since I bought the car in 2004, I fear that they are pre-2000 era tires, based on the PO's record for maintainence.
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:01 am

Checked the current tyres - '99. This topic just got a bit more topical.

Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:30 am

I have 175x13 good years on the 7[10 years old ] and the europa [2 years old]--FIRST THE CARS DELIVERED HERE HAD BIAS PLY RAYON BELTED TIRES [THE SAME SET UP USED IN SLICKS TODAY] second -both cars are so light I don't think the steel belted tires can generate enough side wall flex to work properly [so saying you can still leave anything in the dust with proper line and approach to a corner!]As far as age that is usually heat cycle and leaching of the softening agents into the air that hardens the carcass --I would b buy the cheapest softest rayon bias plys I could find and if they go bald in 5 years you are ahead of the game -tire pressure has much to do with 'stick' ----as long as they are round black and hold air I use them --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: