S4 no servo

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Only my opinion,

But all this talk about hard / soft pads, servo / non servo isn?t relevant as the only thing that matters is the lining ? not the compressibility.

If you cut down type 16 pads to fit a type 14 caliper and the lining material is the same type then the performance will be the same ? friction is not dependant on lining area but a larger pad area would reduce the lining load.

John,
Your problems don?t sound pad related. If the performance is as you describe ? increasing pedal force does not translate into increasing deceleration then it?s either

The calipers don?t see the increase in pressure ? hose problem or blockage else where.

Seized caliper pistons

Faulty master cylinder.

I would look at the hoses first - did you clamp the hoses when you changed the calipers?

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:34 am

patrics wrote:But all this talk about hard / soft pads, servo / non servo isn?t relevant as the only thing that matters is the lining not the compressibility.

But the different pads being discussed perform differently because the pad materials have different ? values, and whilst ultimate braking effort is depent on the pads, the m/cyl size and servo (or lack of) will dictate the pedal travel and pedal effort needed to achieve it.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Fitted Green stuff pads this morning (5/8 M/C fitted and Servo was removed). Below is my initial view/opinion after about 60 miles (today). Bearing in mind the pads are not bedded in yet.

Pedal travel does not bother me. I actually like it as it seems to have a progressive feel to it as it goes further down and the nose drops. The new pads were better than the stock ones within a few miles. They are getting better now after about 60 miles. I am not crapping myself and feel happy with the outcome. I have (in the past) driven with standard pads without a servo and 0.7 M/C and I felt nervous as the pedal seemed to go rock hard and the car was only pulling up slightly.

Whan I have some more miles on, I will report back. I think these are going to be fine.

Mike :)
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: