+2S what size new steering wheel?

PostPost by: thor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am

Buying a +2S now, with a very small looking 13" mountney, so I'll change it. Looking to get a 14" MotoLita, but dished instead of flat, giving me some extra knee room, as I'm 6'2.
The original wheels seeem very hard to find, and the legroom must be a bit constricted with the 15" flat original. Any views here? Should I just get the flat 14".?

Thor
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:12 pm

Thor,

The original +2 wheels were 15" and dished. I have one hanging in my garage. They are a bit flimsy so I replaced it with a dished 13" Motolita. Expensive but a fab wheel. It's also a period accessory as you could have bought exactly the same wheel from Motolita in the 70's.

The only drawback is that the wheel obstructs the view of the oil pressure and the temp gauge a bit.

Regards,

Hamish.

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Aha, that's exactly what I thought. Isn't the 13 a bit on the small side with the regards to high speed stability etc? (Memories of my GT6 on lowered stiff springs with a 13" Motolita two years ago). Do you reckon the 14" would overcome the viewing problem?
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Thor,

I have not found any problems with stability.
I used to rally minis with 12" steering wheels Their steering racks were quick enough to begin with but I didn't have a problem their either.

Whether or not a 14" wheel would solve the visibility problem? That would depend on the thickness of the rim. A 14" Motolita wouldn't (if you could get one) as its rim would be too thick and therefore, still obstruct your line of sight to that part of the dash.
I just move my left hand off the wheel and tilt my head slightly to see the gauges, a small price to pay for having such a fab wheel.
I have warning lights for oil pressure and water temp fitted anyway so I'm not too bothered by a minor lack of visibility. The main thing is that I can see the rev counter (to preserve the engine) and the speedo (to preserve the driving licence! :) ).

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:02 am

have the same problem with the wood wheel I have --looking at a removable one to take a 12 inch wheel so it wont interfere with my leg on entry
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: