Steering Gaiter Replacement

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:18 pm

rgh0 wrote:I personally would pull the rack, dismatle it clean, it up properly and regrease. However that is a lot of work and requires a total rack dismantle and rebuild which is not a trivial exercise

I was tempted to say the same in my earlier post but I did not want to sound like a nervous nellie. Were it my +2, I would do exactly what Rohan suggests.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Thu May 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks to all of you guys!!
I have now removed the torn gaiter by undoing the tie rod from the ball joint assembly.
As far as what I found in the gaiter is concerned I agree with you this is probably a mix of grease and water. But I am not too concerned for the rack (at least what I can see) is absolutely rust free. Probably I discovered the torn gaiter in time. I even think it happened last week-end when driving 300+km partially in the rain.

Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 pm

In the process of rebuilding the trunnions and replacing the upper ball joints this weekend, I discovered that the tie rod ends have no seal whatsoever and the steering gaitors are about to fall off. I just ordered new parts and read through this post. I was wondering why I need to remove the locknut from the tie rod? If I leave it on, then I would be a whole lot less likely to screw up the wheel alignment, and it would seem like the gaitor would be able to stretch over that. I always looking to minimize my ability to make things worse.

Thanks. Dan S4 SE (Federal)
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: