Brake Servo Removal +2S130/5

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 am

Hello
I'm new to the forum and more importantly new to Lotus ownership. I had a Ginetta G15 for 17 years. Anyway I bought this +2 on ebay and its been a bit of a nightmare but I'm getting there!
One of my problems is that the servo has just gone. So I would like to remove the servo altogether. (My Ginetta didn't have a servo and had only discs at the front and I fitted harder pads to stop the wheels locking!)
Has any +2 Owner done this sucessfully and are there are other modifications I should do i.e. green front pads?

Thanks
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Servos are a known problem area, if you use the search function on this page you will find 270 hits and will give you something to read until you get an answer to your specific question.

p.s. - look at how the brake master is mounted and it may change your mind, this are does not seem very substantial to run without a booster, maybe someone can tell you how they re-enforced this area...

just my opinion

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:57 am

Congrats on your purchase.
I removed the servo a while ago. Pedal has more feel to it and I like it a lot better. Still able to lock the front wheels so stopping is not a problem.
I my opinion the car is light enough that it does not need a booster.
cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 am

hello
Thanks Gary and yes the pedal box does look rather flimsy.

Robin , have you a +2 or ordinary Elan and what do you think of the pedal box problem?

Thanks a lot

Terry
PS this forum thing is very good!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Hiya
Given a replacement servo is only ?130 why not just replace it? What's actually gone wrong with it as my understanding is that there are some common faults of which I have just had to deal with one on mine.
Andrew
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Andrew
I'm being quoted between ?200 and ?225 +VAT for a Lockheed and slightly less for a rebuilt Girling. Where are they for ?130 ? Is that a Ratsport one?
The reasons for removal is firstly cost and secondly that if it was replaced then the chances are it would need another one in the near future? and does the car actually need it?

Cheers
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:53 pm

Hiya

This is who I spoke to about my servo and they were very helpful if a little difficult to find unless you know where it is. They are VERY knowledgable and it was someone on here that put me onto them.

Classicar Automotive
Old & New Brakes
Unit A
Alderley Road
CHELFORD, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9AP
United Kingdom
Phone: + 44 (0) 1625 860910
Fax: + 44 (0) 1625 860925

Hope this helps, now if I could only get my TC to start!

Cheers

Andrew
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:13 pm

Andrew
Thanks a lot
Looks like its back to the Servo !

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:11 pm

Running a +2 without a servo is not recommended. When mine refused to operate normally & I was left with unnassisted line pressure I had to really stomp on the pedal to make the car stop. With the servo repaired it makes a world of differance to the braking characteristics giving a much lighter pedal, reassuring braking and less stress on the aformentioned pedal box and mounting.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Thanks Gordon
I'm ordering the new servo tomorrow! Lockheed I think?

Regards
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:33 pm

Terry,
Early +2's use Girling "Powerstop" Mk 2A servos, later ones used Mk 2B. Lockhead are a common replacement as Girling ones are no longer available new. Classicar Automotive will do re-manufactured Girling units on an exchange basis.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:41 pm

Sorry Gordon, I'm going to side with Robin on this one! I like the braking better without the servo, and the car runs better without the brake fluid in the fuel mix.
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:06 pm

With the option of removing the servo I'm really concerned of the safety aspects if I go out with the family. I'm also adding a futher 62Kg(Wife) + 20Kg(Daughter) + 16Kg (Daughter) so 98Kg, approx 10% to the kerb weight and with the risk of the pedal box failing is this to much to gamble. Mr Chapman thought it necessary to fit the servo in the first place so what do I do?
Thats my big quandry- if it was just me in the car , I'd take the busted servo out this evening and throw it in the bin and agree with Robin & Gene

Anyway I've heard that exchange Girling Servos can be problematical and that the Lockheed replacement is a better option. Is this correct?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:36 pm

FYI: If you do bin it, note that Mr. Chapman also saw fit to use the brake line as a ground for the headlights, note black wire under servo bracket.
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:06 pm

hi Terry,

I drive a plus two and I have to add that your comment with regards to a car fully loaded with people and luggage is a valid one.
But as long you are aware of this and drive accordingly I do not see any reason personnally to convert back to the servo.
I hated the spongy overassisted feel and That was with a fully rebuild and tested servo done by a professioanl outlet.
If I would change I would fit another seize master brake cylinder rather than fitting a servo.
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: