Steering Column Alignment

PostPost by: robb4100 » Tue May 17, 2005 8:05 pm

Hi all,

Just removed the horn and brass ring to rewire the horm button (thanks Elliot) and found that the PO had installed the steering column so that the turn signal return tab was facing the dimmer switch. To think that for a year I thought this was just the way that it was supposed to be.

What is the best procedure for making the adjustment? Is the only way to disconnect at the coupler off the lower arm and turn it 180 from there?

Robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri May 20, 2005 9:08 am

Robb,
As its a while since I did that I think you are correct that you have to turn the shaft through 180 degrees, I also seem to remember that the canceling peg is loose on the shaft fitting round the shaft with a spring loaded clamp, I dont think you can move the peg to another position as it has a dimple to locate it on the shaft, I suppose it could be in the wrong position but I would think you would see that immediately.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri May 20, 2005 12:35 pm

Robb,

Get the car with the steering pointing straight ahead.
Undo the steering flexible coupling just above the rack to release the column and turn the it so the cancelling peg is in the right position. (watch when you reposition the column that you don't pull it out too far so the peg misses the cancelling lever on the indicator mechanism).
Tighten up the flexible coupling.
Reposition the steering wheel.

Shouldn't take too long. Had the same problem on my +2 and it omly took about an hour to put right.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robb4100 » Mon May 23, 2005 10:59 am

Hamish,

Thanks for the help.
I disconnected the column from the coupling and turned the column so the cancelling peg is in the right spot but now I cannot re-install the bolt that locks the column into the flexible coupling. Looking at my parts book it appears that there is an upper column for LHD and a different one for RHD. The lower columns are the same. I suspect that I have a RHD upper column on my LHD car. :o

Is your car RHD? Id so are the turn indicators on the Right or left of the column.

Thanks for the help

Robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon May 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Robb,

On my car the culumn has a notch cut in it to allow you to fit the securing bolt to the flexible coupling. This is a small notch cut into the spleens. This allows only a few degrees of rotation when you to fit the column into the coupling. That won't help solve your problem.

Have a look at the other end of the coupling where it fits onto the rack. I think you'll find that there is a notch cut all the way round the spleens allowing a full 360deg fit. This is where you should make the adjustment as the bolt will fit, no matter where you position the coupling. Just make sure you slide the coupling far enough onto the spleens so the bolt holes line up with the notch - if you catch my drift :blink:

I'll probably have a photograph I can e-mail if you need it.

Regards,

Hamish.

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robb4100 » Mon May 23, 2005 2:20 pm

Hamish,

thanks,

I will take a look tomorrow evening. No need for the photo.....yet.

Robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Hi,
Out of curiosity just had a look at my indicator cancel tab. Its on the left hand side of the steering column, while the indicator is on the right (RHD car), I would have thought that it should have been on the right hand side also. Which side should it go on?

cheers
MArk
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue May 24, 2005 7:53 am

mark,

On my steering column the cancel tab is on the RH side and sits smack in between the two little levers that are attached to the indicator unit. (one above and one below the cancel tab)

The indicators cancel fine.

Regards,

Hamish.

:)
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robb4100 » Tue May 24, 2005 3:51 pm

Hamish, Brian and Mark

This is what I found and did (with advice from Don Tingle).

I have a LHD car with the indicators on the left. The cancelling tab was facing to the right and I was able to remove it. It is springloaded with two dimples 180 degrees apart. I reinstalled the cancelling tab (slid it over the splines and the tapered column using a piece of wood and a deadblow hammer to slide it up the column- it is tight!) so that it fit into the dimples but now facing toward the left.

With the wheels dead straight the tab still did not quite fit between the indicator pegs so I disconnected the bottom (toward the rack) of the coupler and rotated the column a few degrees to get it lined up properly. It took some work to disconnect and re-install the lower bracket because of the tight and akward space. (hint: one must completly remove the bolt or the coupler will not come off the spline- there are stop on both splines) I was able to do it more easily once I disconnected both ends of the coupler. The column is now properly aligned from rack to steering wheel and the indicators work perfectly.

Thanks for the help and hopefully this dialogue will help others.

Robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:34 am

Gents,

Thank you all for diagnosing my problem, "Why does Dad's S4 have self cancelling blinkers and my Sprint doesn't?", and providing the cure! :) All in one small thread.
Got rid of the annoying beeper that had been fitted by a PO.

Happy motoring,
Steve.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: