Rear Suspension Spax

PostPost by: the rolfie » Tue May 03, 2005 12:53 pm

I need to replace my rear suspension on my Elan +2 have people got views on which ones to fit? I have phoned a couple of places and need to make a choice spax or others. I only want my car as a fast road car thanks
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue May 03, 2005 2:45 pm

TTR has some very good suspension set ups available.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue May 03, 2005 3:24 pm

Koni are fine for the road
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue May 03, 2005 7:19 pm

FWIW, I am not impressed with the fit of Spax inserts ...... Go for Konis
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: the rolfie » Tue May 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replies so far TTR want lots of money for there shocks I can get a set of Spax delivered for ?170, where would you recomend trying for Koni and at what price? Is it a difficult job to fit these units? Thanks again for the replies
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Hegg » Wed May 04, 2005 5:45 am

I had good luck contacting Clive at Paul Matty about inserts. I'm in the middle of replacing shocks all around my +2 with new Konis, and I also got a CV driveshaft replacement from Clive as well.

Konis aren't cheap though...
1970 Lotus Elan +2, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2006 Lotus Elise, all for sale.
Hegg
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed May 04, 2005 11:49 am

Are you replacing the struts as well?

If it's inserts only - I fitted Spax. Not brilliant but as I'm only on the road they are fine. Top adjustable too.

If you need to replace the struts (as I did) Spyder do a fabricated strut. These are great and easy to fit. They also solve any wheel bearing ousing problems. I got these plus the Spax inserts as a package from Spyder. I had no trouble with the fit of the inserts.
You can see these on the Spyder site <a href='http://www.spydercars.co.uk/spyder_rear_suspension.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.spydercars.co.uk/spyder_rear_suspension.htm</a>.

Back end of the car feels really stable where previously it 'floated around a bit'.

Best of luck,

Hamish.
:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed May 04, 2005 6:05 pm

Susan Miller (Mick Miller Classic Lotus) would be able to fix you up with Konis (or probably Spax if you really have to have them!!)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: the rolfie » Tue May 10, 2005 11:41 am

Thanks for all the replies with your ideas, what do you think about the original armstrong units being fitted? Can any one give me instuctions on how to get the old units out once the whole lot is off the car?? Thanks again for yor help.
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: the rolfie » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks for all your help have now fitted original armstrong units and car is flying again!!
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: